HybridZ

Got my Z! Now what to do first?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, I finally got my dream car, a '71, although it is that awful puke orange. It's pretty much stock, except for some off-brand wheels and butchered-wiring roadmaster radio :(

Anyway, I'm debating on what to upgrade first. I plan on doing the SBC swap (JTR book in the mail), brake upgrades (rear disc and big brake front), and coilovers.

I'm wondering which of the 3 to start with. I was thinking I'd do the brakes and suspension at the same time, so I'd only have to dissasemble it once. However, I'd probably want to get the engine in and running first so that I could set up the front suspension correctly to reflect any weight changes. so.....I figure this would be the right order:

1) New CD player and speakers. smile.gif Misc. interior fixing up.

1.5) chase rust out of battery tray area and move battery to the rear somewhere, during the engine swap.

2) Engine swap. I'm thinking this engine would be best for a mostly street driven car, with some very occasional road racing or auto-X. Oh, I've already decided on a T56 as well. :D

3) suspension/brakes

4) body stiffening (?) Would body flex be an issue in a 240 with the HP/torque of that engine?

5) PAINT!

Does this seem like a sane plan of attack, to those who have done this before?

Thanks,

Henry

Hey! Nothing wrong with orange, that's my car's color shifty.gif

That sounds like a fair way to go about things to me. DOn't be surprised if this takes longer than you think! I've owned my car for a year and a half and have had it on the road during that time for less than 3000 miles, between rebuilding the engine and my still-incomplete motor swap. beware the 'while i'm at it' syndrome, you'll set yourself back by months ;) but you will end up with a nicer car.

what i would do is weld in a good cage and look into some subframe connectors before anything. THis way, you'll have the interior totally stripped and you'll be able to get a good look behind all the panels and make sure everything's a-ok. i think you'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to body flex.