HybridZ

chevy pre-87 tpi for budget turbo small block

Just throwing out some things to get advice from you guys. For setting up a budget turbo sbc I was thinking(from looking around at part prices) that using a pre-87 tpi intake may be the best budget option. This engine will target 450hp and most likely use T3 turbos similar to the stock 280zxt. Edelbrock has the victor intake manifold for injectors at $250. Then add fuel rails, carb to throttle body adapter to help with turbo piping, throttle body and price is getting up there not inlcuding the rest of the EFI stuff, injectors, controller, fuel pump, etc. So it looks like it may be cheaper to pick up tpi with fuel rails already on it, throttle body already there as well. Throttle body may be optional, I suppose I could make a simple adapter to get a ford throttle body on the tpi setup. The problem on the victor type intake is that the adapter gets more complex because of the 90 degree bend required or some kind of box on top of a throttle body if the throttle body sits directly on the single plane intake.

Is there anything inherent that may be a problem with the chevy tpi for turbo engine in this power range that I am overlooking?

Guest thepenguin99

The lt1 intake modified to fit a pre-86 block would be better imo. The modded intake is only $400 or $200 for the mod on your intake. That isnt much more than a TPI intake and the flow would be much better.