HybridZ

How much HP can a stock 5.0 bottom end handle?

Guest Ian turbo240

Guest Ian turbo240

The $1000 question. How much horsepower can a stock 5.0 block/crank/rods/pistons handle provided the rpm is kept to 6500 or less? I'm looking to build a Cali-smog-legal 450+HP 5.0, and I need to know if it will survive. Plans are to use TFS/AFR/Edelbrock or equivilant heads, E303 cam, Trick Flow intake manifold, 70mm TB and EGR spacer, 36# injectors or larger if needed, Aeromotive fuel supply system, and Vortech supercharger with aftercooler. Appropriate headers/exhaust will also be included along with 80mm mass air sensor and whatever else I need to make my goal.

If I can't use a stock block, then I'm considering the GT40 long block that Summit Racing sells. It's a production block, but at least it's brand new. If that won't work, then I'll have to spend the big bucks on a Dart block and forged crank, etc. That will add about $5g to the project. Thanks for the info.

Ian

Guest Ian turbo240

By the way, I'm looking at using the '87-'92 5.0 Mustang block. I already have one ready to run. Would the main cap girdle do any good?

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tom sixbey

an 87-92 bottom end should have no trouble with 450HP so long as its in good shape. a main brace is definately a good idea, and I'm told it should last you to about 600 HP at the most on good components. does anyone else concur?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluex_v1

Over the numerous corral posts I have read, the rule of thumb seems to be that at 500 HP/500 ftLbs and stock components, it becomes a time-bomb.

before you get that high, at least two things to look at are a hardened oil pump shaft and ARP rod fasteners