HybridZ

Full exaust

Guest Anonymous

Got a sbc but it runs a single 3.5 inch pipe. It was done by the prevoius owner and doesnt fit at all well. I would say that you are going to be really lacking space. Do you really need all that pipe? I realise that you are planing some big mods but twin 3.5s will suport a hugh amount of Hp.

Douglas

You were planning a big block were you not? I havent really done much research into the larger chevy so am going to stick with the few things I do know. Firstly I think you could reach your hp targets with 3 inch duals. I had a look at the trans am road racing exhuasts recently. These cars are putting out around 700 hp. They must run through dual 3 inch, or a sigle 4 or 5 inch. A formula 1 car has around 850hp and they look as though they run through 2.5 - 3 inch pipes. I think when people suggest really large pipes they are talking about situations where the pipes are open. If you have a proper x or y pipe it might scavenge a little better so you wont need as large a pipe. I get the feeling from what i have read, that with the fireing order of the 90 degree crank, a v8 kind of needs a larger collecter becuase of the exhust pulse not being evenly spaced. You then have to have a larger pipe to match. I think that if you run 180 degree headers you can also use a smaller pipe becuase the pulses are properly spaced. Another option is the 3.5 inch into a x pipe and the 3 inch out. It looks like that past the trans is were you really run into space problems.

I know you have spent a lot of time studying camshafts of late but exhuast is going to need some research as well. Most likely you will need to do complete custom headers to really take advantage of the rest of the engine.

Anyway, Let me know what size engine you are running and i will look some stuff up in a few books i have here gathering dust.

Couple of interesting places to look:

Burns stainless

Headers by ed

Sghenfeld headers

Dr gas

Sorry you will have to do a search, Compter will dump this if I link them.

Cheers

Douglas