HybridZ

Buick 350 in 240Z

Guest 240SBB

Guest 240SBB

Has anybody every done this combo? Just curious as I think it would be a good idea.

Pros: 315hp/410ftbls stock (1970), 450 pounds, distributor in front, cheap motor to build, and unique

Cons: BOP bolt pattern, but a 200R4 should work nicely.

The torque comes in before the 3,000rpm mark . . . would a 280 LSD hold up to that? Also, how much does the Nissan inline six weigh?

Guest 240SBB

I'm not sure where the motor mounts are compared to a Chevy. I don't have a Buick engine on hand. 315hp isn't a ton of power, but with an aluminum intake, minor head porting (Stage 1 style), and headers, it should crank out closer to 350. Besides, the torque is what relly makes this motor hot. Low 12-second quarter miles shouldn't be hard with some good tires.

If you are just after something unique...OK, but SBC parts (power) are cheaper, more available and the swap is documented and easy. Remember, you may be happy with around 300 ponies to start with, but you will likely want to upgrade to more power, and that's where the small block Chevy really comes into it's own. DO A Search! This topic has come up several times before.

Tim

Oh you know you just want to throw the big block Buick in there! It should fit... :roll: LOTS of twist from that engine :D Come on, DO IT!!! You know you want to :wink: . Yes, I am a fan of the BBB :D

Wow, I have to lay off the coffee.

!M!

Guest 240SBB

Yeah, a 455 is my favorite big block, but it would be too much for what I want my Z to be. Besides, the Skylark/GS is getting a built 455. I just want the Z to be a comfortable daily driver that handles well and has plenty of power on tap. A Chevy 350 or Ford 302 would obviously be easier to do, but I just like to be different. I had a Chevy 350 in a Toyota Land Cruiser and a 302 in a Mustang and my Bronco. Both are great engines. I just like the look on peoples' faces when I yell out the window "it's a Buick!"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey!

so you want a buick? Good choice from GM, others would be Olds or Pontiac. Even though they are all GM, they have different characteristics. Pontiac has more lowend torque (Awesome drag engine in a Z), Olds tend to run ALOT warmer and you have to have a nice cooling system and olds and buick are the exact same except the Buick is SLIGHTLY smoother than an olds, but not as nice as a caddy.

Id get a pontiac 350ci for drag engines, or even a 383 GTO TRI-CARB!!!!! VERY COOL! I know someone selling a tri-carb from an early model GTO btw... email me at karodak@yahoo.com

455's are AWESOME!! My parents bought me a 1970 Olds 442 auto because i work so damn much and its the best, albeit horrible on gas. I think that lump of cast iron weighs 500+ lbs alone, and it gets up to 210 degrees and scares me shitless in the summer!!!

question, will a 1992 300zx 3.0 L6 fit in a Z(280z/240z) and will it be reliable if turbocharged(T3/T4) and is the work hard? I would get an RB26 but i dont have 3500+ to pull out the wazoo... not now anyhow lol. Parts are hard to get for those anywho so 3.0L sounds nice. Any comments?

-Keenan

If you live in the tampa bay area and know where the hell Lutz is then gimme an email and we could meet up or something, i have ALOT of questions pertaining to Z cars... need a daily driver for school...

Guest 240SBB

I'm still leaning towards a Buick 455, for now. If I'm not mistaken, the 1970 Buick 455 put out 510 pounds of torque at 3200rpms--more than any other big block of the era besides the Cadillac. The Buick 455 is also the lightest block over 450 cubic inches. A stock 1970 Cadillac 500 put out 400hp and 550ftlbs and is also a light motor. A Cadillac is somewhat tempting now that aluminum heads are available. I've heard rumors of aluminum heads for the Buick 350 as well.

I don't think the Oldsmobile and Buick have anything in common other than the displacement.

Guest 240SBB
nope. Olds had more. Mine is pumped out 525 before being bored .30 over.

I was speaking in terms of factory ratings. Here are a couple links in reference to Oldmobile engines: http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofeng.htm and http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/oldsmobile-442/oldsmobile-442-history.shtml . I don't see anything listed on these pages or anywhere else with anything more than 500 ftlbs. from an Olds. Of course, factory ratings are often not a true representation of actual preformance. Case in point: 365hp rating for the 1970 Buick Stage 1 is general accepted as being about 50-60 horses under par.

Also check out Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races (http://www.geocities.com/psmcdr/), Factory Stock Muscle Car Drag Races (http://hometown.aol.com/lamgmt/myhomepage/business.html), or Factory Appearing Drags (http://www.geocities.com/fadrags/). Gotta love it when a Buick 455 puts away a hemi!

But if you want to start modifying things, then it's quickly a game of apples and oranges. There is an interesting article in the January 2002 issue of Car Craft. They did identical buildups of the major big blocks and came up with these numbers: Buick 455 (555.4hp/575.5ftlbs.), Oldsmobile 455 (496.9hp/558.6ftlbs.).

I have nothing against Oldsmobile or any other manufacturer. But there's a reason I've chosen the Buick for my project. Heck, I may even just decide to pick up one of the 600 cubic inch Buicks that's on it's way to the aftermarket. =)

Guest Anonymous

That is pretty interesting heh. I liked buicks but went with olds because it just looks more muscular with those arches and the hood and grill... but still i like that comparison. agreeing 100% about factory ratings though, total BS.

buick put a hemi away? 426 or 440? 6 pack?

Guest Zachb55

question' date=' will a 1992 300zx 3.0 L6 fit in a Z(280z/240z) and will it be reliable if turbocharged(T3/T4) and is the work hard? I would get an RB26 but i dont have 3500+ to pull out the wazoo... not now anyhow lol. Parts are hard to get for those anywho so 3.0L sounds nice. Any comments?

[/quote']

you mean V6 right, all 300ZX (from that time atleast that i know of) are V6 engines. i do belive it has been done, maybe even written up. do a search of course and you should find most all the info you would need for this swap.

Guest 240SBB
buick put a hemi away? 426 or 440? 6 pack?

There's been a long running rivalry between the Buick and Mopar community (though many Mopar guys will shy away from admiting it) ever since the mid 1980's when a magazine (Muscle Car Review?) ran a 455 against a hemi and reported the 455 as the winner. Several rematches have ensued and bragging rights have passed back and forth--about an even-steven overall. Buick pretty much cleaned house at the 2000 Pure Stock Drags against 426s, 440s, and an LS6.

With that said, I'll stay tuned for any excuses from Mopar or Chevy people on this thread.

Interestingly, the 1987 Buick GNX was quicker out-of-the-box with a turbo-charged 231 V6. In fact, that same engine went into a special edition Trans Am in 1989 and remains to be (1) the quickets production Trans Am ever and (2) the only Indy 500 pace car to run Indy without any modifications to the engine. Go Buick!

I do like the Oldmobile 442; it's a very muscular-looking car. I've always thought it pretty cool that they could sneek a 455 into the 442 a year before anybody else had permission. Or was that 2 years?

Guest Anonymous

yea sorry meant V-6, was stuck in "RB" mode... hehe.

Hemis r great engines, just the dirtiest running ones around. Plus the prices are too high for a hemi equiped vehicle. A barrucuda with a 440 will cost close to 50k while my 442 was 16k, and only 39k miles when purchased! sheesh.

another question... Will a buick grand national engine fit well into a Z and is it sporty?(such as power delivery and feel). Thanks!

-Keenan