HybridZ

77 olds 350 rocket

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty much a newbie to this.

I have a 74 260z and am wanting to put a 77 olds 350 rocket in it. I've already built the engine up and need to know if this thing is even going to work. Any help or links to writeups on ppl who have done this already would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

I did a search on it but I didn't come up with any helpfull results.. I realize that it can be done if my pockets are deep enough, and it would make my z different from the rest, but if it's going to be a bigger hassle to do it than it would be to put chevy or a ford engine in it then I'll go that way.

Thanks

I did a search on it but I didn't come up with any helpfull results.. I realize that it can be done if my pockets are deep enough' date=' and it would make my z different from the rest, but if it's going to be a bigger hassle to do it than it would be to put chevy or a ford engine in it then I'll go that way.

Thanks[/quote']

It may be a pain, but where there is a will there is a way. IMO, the biggest hurdle is the tranny, not the engine. You can fab up mounts for the engine and tranny, but you may be limited to whatever transmissions came with the Olds engines. I like a stick shift, so I went with Chevy so I can use a T5 in my Z from a Camaro. If you are going to use an auto, you have to ask yourself the question, "Is the 3-speed auto going to be enough for what I'm going to use the car for?" I don't know if they make conversion kits for the Olds engine to GM 700R4 tranny, but I bet they do.

Just food for thought.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I believe I have been told that there is a conversion kit that Jegs sells for mounting different trannies up to different engines that aren't supposed to go together. I have to agree with you with the fact that a 3 speed isn't going to get it, and I really would like to have a T5, so if there is infact a adapter for those trannies then I could always do it later on down the road.

Guest greimann

If you have a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bellhousing, a T5 will bolt right up. It will be, however, in the straight up positon, not tilted, which makes making the rear mount challenging, but not impossible. You will also need to get creative with the clutch slave or just use a hydraulic release bearing.

Guest Anonymous

I'm confused now, I thought have a resevoir, slave cylinder meant that I already had a hydrolic clutch.

What would I use for a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing as far chevy, olds, etc.

Guest greimann

I mean a GM T5 from a Camaro or Firebird. Your Datsun clutch and hardware are not used in an engine / trans swap if this kind. As far as what you will use for flywheel, clutch and the like, you are going to have to figure that out because I don't know about Oldsmobile stuff. Maybe someone here does??? Bottom line is this is a rare bird and if you are not up to the task of measuring and figuring out some of this stuff, you might want to think about a Chevy 350.

Guest Anonymous

You know. Dart sells what they are calling a "Rocket" bare block right in there with the 350's. What is that I wonder?