HybridZ

Aquired WC T5 from 91 Camaro

Z-TARD

I just picked up a World Class T5 from the junkyard out of a 91 Camaro. Have any of the T5 guys on here detonated their trannies yet? What kind of HP were they running when they did? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I'll have to detune my engine buildup to use this tranny. I figure its probably a good way for me to get used to driving the car with a V-8 in it before getting serious about horsepower. :D Does anyone know of upgrade kits for the T5 to enable it to handle more HP/Tourque? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Guest greimann

I have about 60K miles on a T5 behind a 390 ft-lb motor and no problems so far. I don't drag race, although it has about 20 track runs on it when I first built the car. Be sure to use good ATF like TCI racing ATF or Redline.

Thanks for the reply. I dont plan on drag racing mine at all if I can help it. Maybe the occasional hard launch from stop lights in order to destroy Hondas, but thats about it. I found a place online that makes a straight cut gearset for the T5 that allows for up to 450 Lb/Ft, and clutchless shifting, but it seemed to be a racing only application. The straight cut gears would be pretty loud I'd imagine.

Yeah with those straight cut gears you would hear a "whinning" sound. It would be like the whinning you hear when your backing up with a manual tranny. The reverse gears are straight cut not helical(sp?) like the 4-6 forward gears are normally in a manual tranny.

Guy