HybridZ

Anyone ever build up a 305?

Went window shopping at the junkyard last week, looking for 350's, but all I have been able to find is mid 80's 305 engines puke.gif Has anyone been able to use these with good results? I know that most bolt on performance items for 350's will work on them, but will the shorter crank throw pose any serious performance issues? I'm looking to build an engine with about 370-400 HP. Can this be achieved using the stock 305 crank?

its not the crankshaft stroke its the small bore that hurts the 305s breathing, and you better think along the lines of 350 hp as a max level to shoot for in a 305 engine, yes more is possiable but above 350hp the costs go up much faster than the hp. short answer, keep looking or if it was me Id also be looking for a 500 caddy engine, they are normally available for under $300 and getting 400hp and 450 ft lbs of torque is cheap and easy, the distributor is in the front of the engine so the engine that weighs just 50-60lbs more than a 350 chevy can be set back right to the firewall.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just take the tranny out of the camaro and leave the 305. The Caddy engine sounds really cool, I've always thought it would be cool to put one in the bed of a 47 Studabaker truck with the transaxle from an el dorado to make it mid engine. How much bigger is the 500 than a SBC? Will it bolt up to a 700R4 without modification? I originally planned on shoehorning a Jag 5.3 litre V-12 into my Z, but proper use of a tape measure kind of killed that project, oh well. So I'm looking for an easy conversion at this point, I think 350 with 700R4/T-5/T-56 will probably fit the bill. I just need to find a good parts car to canibalize. What is your opinion of the newer (1987 and up) SBC?

Guest jwelch

Grumpy;

Did anyone figure out what kind of tranny will fit the caddy engine? It sounds like the limitation is the transmission choice. Would the frame have to be reinforced? I have a 77 which has the solid frame rail. I originally wanted to do the Mopar 383 but someone mentioned that it would twist the body into pieces. Wouldn't the 500CI be even more lethal? I'm wondering how much more work it would take the the SMB350 to get a daily driver? Any thoughts?

Guest grinsha

The caddy 500 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the pontiac olds and buick 455's. Lakewood makes a bellhousing that is drilled for Chevy transmissions. I know someone makes a flywheel for the 500 but i cant find it on the internet.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmm, a Datallac... Thats funny... Heck, if the 700 r goes on there thats cool. You'd just have to ask people what sort of ride they want, smoking or non.. :D Hmmm, room for a turbo? ;)

Regards,

Lone

Recently watched the removal of a gas turbine generator from the Spruance class destroyer that I'm stationed on. It looked about the right size to fit in a Z, might have to hammer out the transmission tunnel a bit, and add lots of insulation....... rockon.gif

Only problem with that, Z-tard, is that it's an Allison 501-K17--a single speed gas turbine--you're gonna need one heck of a reduction gear since it runs at 13,821 RPM :D

BTW, which ship you on? I was on the Callaghan (DDG-994) and the Acadia (AD-42) during my time down there--plus a few years at SIMA

If you want to see a turbine that might be doable, check out the "squirt" project at www.gas-turbines.com

Guest Luigi

I used a 305 for my install (got stuck with it). From an IROC. Ported heads, mild cam, performer RPM, carter carb.....230 rear wheel horspower.

There is something to be said for getting your car up and running quickly. Some places will give you a 305. Get the one with flat-tops (IROC, SS) clean it up, get it in start driving, save money for the monster. On the odd chance that Grumpy reads this: what program are you using to predict HP?

hope this helps

If you want to use that 305, there is a stroker kit for one. It bring it to a 335 C.I.It includes a new stroker crank, KB pistons, street strip rings, CR1 rods, rod bearings, main bearings, gaskit set, for $599. You can get it from Powerhouse, 931 19th st, Backersfield, CA 93301. 661-861-0167.

Guest super280z

...but will the shorter crank throw pose any serious performance issues?

the chevy 305 has a 3.48" stroke crank similar to the 350 chevy. but because of balance issues, the two should not be interchanged. the issue on building power with these engines is first of all as Grumpy mentioned, cyllinder head flow and secondly bore size. the 305 also sports a 3.740" bore which also dosent aid head flow. check out this site. http://www.mortec.com/borstrok.htm

you can make good power with a 305 if thats all you have but it's going to take some good heads that flow well with smaller valves to accomidate that smaller bore size. since you havent bought anything yet, hold out for a 350. it'll come you're way. happy rodding,

I'm currently on the Oldendorf (DD-972)aka Old-and-broke. Hopefully I'll be eligible for shore duty after this, sea duty sucks.I'm an HT, so my days consist mostly of unclogging toilets and running fire drills puke.gif Anyway, I found a 327 out of a 68 Impala at the junkyard last week, if its still there this weekend I'm going to pull it. If nothing else, it will be slightly unique, as I havent seen too many 327's in Z's before. Hopefully this will turn out better than my failed "Jag V-12 into not quite large enough Datsun Z" project....

Old-n-broke--just the name is enough to bring back nightmares weird.gif worked on her too many times when I was there. Can't blame you for looking forward to shore duty :D I was a GSM myself, so I know how you feel about sea duty.

Good luck on the 327--I miss having all the nice DIY boneyards out there--moved out here and they've never heard of that concept. I am currently in the "save up the bucks to buy an LTI/T56 combo" phase, so I've been spending a lot of time doing body work myself.

Good luck,

Jim

Guest Anonymous

CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE magazine has been running a series of articles on the performance build-up of basically bolt-on parts to a 305 in a second generation Camaro that was bought at auction for around $300.00. Very interesting article but ........ spending all that money for heads,cam,headers,carb manifold etc.speed parts to just get it up over stock 350 perfomance does not make sence. Put the same money and similar type of parts in a 350 and you would be looking at 400 hp. But when aftermarket companies are footing the bill and the labor is free, I would bre happy with every 305 they provided me with no complaints.