HybridZ

Targa Top

Guest cowboy6280

Guest cowboy6280

Has anyone made a targa top for '78 or older Z? I did a search and found that t-tops/targa top was mentioned but has anyone actually tried this? I just thinking maybe a targa top would be nice.

Guest cowboy6280

My first thoughts if I go the targa top route, I thought I could incorporate a roll bar/cage of sorts to help support the roof and stiffen the body. I havent really thought this all the way thru and come up with any details yet. Wanted to check if anyone had done this before and check out how they went about it. I think Reaction Research has a fiberglass header fill pc that could maybe be used for the front, and I guess I would have to make something for the back side. And I guess something would have to be done with the door window frames, cut them off like on the Vela Rossa kit? Then to make the top itself... thought something made from convertible top canvas that could fold in half so you could fit it in the back of the car while its off? Think a rusted junker car is needed to try it on first :?

This is an interresting topic. In many ways a targa conversion is more complicated than a convertable. With a convertable you have several options as to how to construct a top. You can design your rear deck to facilitate a clean connection of top to car. With a targa you must connect windshield header to hatch header with very little room for creativity. You are limited to the space and shape thats left after the sheet metal is removed.

If I were doing this I would start by finding an old 911 targa to study very closely. Porsche did a nice job here. They had a folding canvas top that fit very nicely. Then I would buy a 911 top and see if it could be adapted to the Z roof. I'd buy an old rusted out Z to do all my prototype work on before I cut my driver.

Naturally, you would want to strengthen the frame just as you would for a convertable. I would avoid the roll cage just for personal preference. The design idea is to "open" the car. A roll cage, while it has some very real benefits in strengthening the car and protecting the occupants, tends to "close" the car.

Hmm, I've got an old rusty parts Z on the side of the house. Anybody got an old 911 top they want to donate to research?

• 1 month later...
Guest Vashe

Well, i was thinking about the idea of a Targa top on the older Z cars, and had a idea i would like to try on a junk car. I will be installing a roll cage, and thought that if the hoop that goes right behind the seats meets with the roof line then weld the Roll bar to the roof. Also, another hoop will be added where the windshield meets the roofline, and weld that hoop to the roof. As for the doors, remove the weather stripping, weld those into the roof, (file, sand as needed), then cut off the roof between the roll bar hoops. After that, it should be easy to fab up a type of bolt that could latch into the roll bar on both sides so the top doesn't fly off. The cage would more than make up for loss by removing the roof. Well, i hope this made, any questions about this or if you want me to make a pic about it, just let me know:) I would also like to hear any reason why this wouldn't work, before i try to do this.

David i know exactly what your talking about.. the ohter day i seen a 280ZX with the same targa panel on the roof of his car.. i know its not factory.. i guess back in the 80s it was kinda stylish... like how people use to add rocker pannels and chrome fender lips.. lol

Ice i really think it was a factory option. My friend Leo said he had the same one, and its been on there from the day the car was made. They also have a rubber strip that lays under the metal so not to scratch the car.

Did it look any good on the Z?