HybridZ

Emergency, need Advice

I was told today when I went to a shop, that a guy running with an l28 making about 200rwhp, has a complete tube chassis car, and he says he keeps twisting the frame, I knew the stock frame was weak, but if thats true, my 7m swap is useless, cuz id be running a standard NHRA spec cage, 10pt, with about 350rwhp. I dont need to be ripping my car in half when I get some traction. This was supposed to be mostly a street car, and there is no way I will continue this project if I need a full tube chassis to MAYBE keep the car straight. Some please tell me he is just trying to stop a 240z from being what he calls "butchered". HE said though If i did a 280z it would work a lot better. So will my 72 240z be a problem with a 10pt cage and 350rwhp?

Guest the_dj

I'm running 300ish to the ground and 350+ torque without a cage or subframe connectors, and no problems thus far. :)

I'm installing both now since I'm adding boost. Don't want to take that much of a chance!!

I hope Derek (GNZ) doesn't mind me talking about his car, but his Z is the only one I have seen that is putting some serious power to the ground. He has sub frame connectors and a 4 point roll bar. I saw his 240Z run straight as an arrow doing 10.50's at the track. He has MANY, MANY passes on that car and as far as I could tell, no stress cracks and the body lines were even.

!M!

Just because a car is "tube framed" doesn't mean its stiff torsionally. I've seen many very poorly designed "tube frame" cars that twist like noodles. A bad design is a bad design regardless of what its called.

I'm running 305hp on a road racing 1970 240Z chassis with a welded in 4 point rollbar and I'm having no problems. Remember, suspension and braking torque loads are higher then most anything you can generate with a motor.

Right, I know that, but he holds the track record at Road Atlanta with a 1:37 flat lap. His car is a full out race car, and the cage is pretty intense. Its the Fastest E-production Z in the country. His has been bumped and broken a few times. I think he was trying to scare me, like i said, so I wouldnt "ruin" a perfectly good Z. But I figured with darius Driving all crazy all the time, ScottieGNZ aking hard passes, all the others running v8 swaps and drivign them daily and throwing them on the track, it cant be that bad, ill just put a reall nice cage in it, ill do over NHRA spec.