HybridZ

Modified Mustache Bar = Reduced Wheel Hop

Phantom

One of the features in the LS1 install on my car is a modified mustache bar that changed the location of the R200. The result has been hugely reduced wheel hop when the car is under heavy accelleration in first & second gear. Doesn't appear to have any negative affects on handling but I am early in the proving stage on the car.

I was talking to John at John's Cars last night and he is planning on offering it on an exchange basis to anyone who wants it. Might call him at (214) 426-4101 if interested.

Guest 240hybrid

The only reason I asked is that I heard that you can lose and gain HP by varying your driveshaft angles on Nascar. Im not saying it affects your Power at the flywheel, but at the wheels as some power is lost due to excessive angulation. Im doubting that it makes a big deal :roll: unless your racing the car where a such little HP gains and loses are very serious. Also I doubt that the angle changed to were it affects things seriously. Just thought Id ask about it. Might check that Mustache bar out, you'll have to post some pics.

Chase

What I do know it did change was the angle of the half-shafts so that they are more level when the car squats under accelleration. This maintains a larger and more consisant tire contact patch and thus has reduced my wheel hop. You may be correct about a small loss of total Hp deliverd to the rear wheels but I already have more that the tires can handle so the improved traction results in a significant improvement in launch characteristics. Also, my transmission and differential are locked together with a modified torque tube so the driveshaft angle reamained constant for my installation.

On the Z, half shafts have nothing to do with the suspension. If you've changed the half shaft angles such that it has actually affected your tire contact patch, then, well, that just does not sound right - possibly even really wrong :confused:

Moving the diff up will have some positive effects on a lowered car. If it's lowered, the shafts will be straight (parallel to the ground) or even angled up a bit at rest, and under accel, will angle up. This will introduce some strain that can break parts (shafts, joints, stubs, etc.). Anything change to the diff position must be done such that the driveshaft angles are correct - that is, the UJoints must be in phase, or you get bad harmonics and vibration. I actually think I have this problem on my car, despite the time I spent trying to get things lined up.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am skeptical that any such mod would affect something like wheel hop. I don't see how it could affect traction either. I dunno though, I could be wrong.

Maybe ScottieGNZ or someone with some more knowledge than me will weigh in on this thread with some tech.