HybridZ

74 v8z, looking for what the best diff would be

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have found some places that say the diff for this is fine, just weaker. All my money is going towards brakes at the moment. Do you think I will be fine with this diff, or should I go with a 280 r200 with like a 3.5 final drive, or even better the diff off of a 89 turbo 300. I also heard that a 89 subaru diff will work too, but I don't know much about it. Seems like the axels and stuff wouldn't work.

The 74 model had the semi wimpy r180 on board. I smoked mine the first time I went to the drag strip :( You can pick up an r200 for 80 bucks with shafts. You can get by for now but take it easy on the r180.

By the way they are a real simple conversion.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

What do you think would be the best diff for it. Its a built 400 small block, with aluminum heads and a turbo 400 speed shift transmission. Would final drive would be the best out of the r200's.

What do you think would be the best diff for it. Its a built 400 small block, with aluminum heads and a turbo 400 speed shift transmission. Would final drive would be the best out of the r200's.

That would be very buzzy on the freeway but would make a good drag car. A 700R4 would be a better choice and it could still launch well.

Davy

you will be in third on any street with a speed limit of 35 doign 2000-2500 before you know it, but it will hold power very well.

its 2003, you need overdrive. people are driving faster and faster nowadays-75-80mph seems to be the average speed on freeways aroudn me, and on San Francisco city streets, your average pedestrian in a 84 corolla is speeding at least 10mph over the limits-and so are the cops :D

Guest Anonymous

I already have a really good transmission. A turbo 400. I just need a good diff. I think next week I'm gonna go look for a 78 280 and just strip the back and get everything I need.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Interesting thought. I put a TPI built 700r4 with a 2000 stall behind my 350. With the 3.06 1st gear and the split to 1.67 for 2nd, I'm not sure if I had to do it over I might go for a 200 with the 1st gear at 2.67. Granted it takes a signicant amount ot mods to hold the hp but TPI claims to be doing it at the same cost. The 700 low gear is blistering tires with a 180 3.36, but with sticking tires I'm afraid the rear end will end up scrambled.

Chuck

Guest Your Car is Slow

I originally wanted to use a TH400, but they are heavy..and cause significant drivetrain loss. A trans that beefy is not needed for a car this light.

I went with a TH350 and a 3.36 R200 rear end....even that puts me at around 150mph at 6000rpm in 3rd gear.