HybridZ

Gas tank vent line question?

Guest zfan

Does anyone know were to get the vent line for the vent line outlet at the top of your gas tank that runs to the filler tube on your gas tank. By the way this is on the 1971 240Z.

I believe this is just to let the fuel tank breathe/relieve pressure?

Mike

I replaced all my fuel line vent hoses with fuel line from NAPA. If you want original check E-bay or some of the OEM suppliers. When replacing the vent line be sure to use fuel line hose not heater hose or you will be replacing the lines again soon.

ds

So Napa carries fuel line that large? I think it is 5/8 or 3/4" line, that would be great. Sure save alot of time and hassles. I'll give them a try.

Thanks Mike

Guest 240hybrid

man I went to Napa to get fuel line that big and they said they didnt have it. I ended up buying from MSA and spending over $100 on the molded lines I couldnt get at local parts stores :shock: . Hey they went on easy though, being molded nicely. I have to check them again, my 72 needs them now too. :cry:

If you cant find those lines at napa try this site, they have them, but at some price. http://www.zcarparts.com :?

Chase

Hey guys Napa did not have them but after sifting thru the local yellow pages I found a place called Fast Hose in Garland Tx. Got 5/8" and 3/4" hose so no problems venting now.

Just look up fuel hose/hoses/fuel lines etc. in your local yellow pages and you will be suprised what you can find. 4 ft. of both cost 15 bucks with tax. :D

Mike

Guest 240hybrid

Im glad someone found those lines without having to spend a fortune at MSA. I'll look around more before I go that route again, I dont have that kind of $ to spend on vent lines of all things. Man do they look pretty all braided and molded though :roll::o

Hey georgiaflash...MSA doesnt have the vent lines for a 280 heh. :? I would go the route Zfan did unless your going for full authenticity. If you are, just to let you know, Im using a 75 280 tank in my 240 and all is good. I believe I did order them for the 240, but they go right on my 280 tank with no problems at all. Their very similiar, you might want to call them and make sure though they will work though.

Yep I haven't called them about the 280 but they do not list them in the catelog. I thought the 240 and 280 had different fuel tanks? That's why I thought that they would not work on mine.

I will keep searching I may even try and call that company in Texas. But I am like you the braided fitted hoses would look sweet.

Guest 240hybrid

The 240 and 280 had relativly the same tanks till 77 when they changed the height of the tank and is not usable in a 240. As for the lines, their all in the same locations, except the 280 tank has 1 less vent line. I pinched and welded the hole shut on the vent tank to prevent fumes infiltrating the interior space. I'll admit that not having to worry about mashing shut or getting the molded vent line hung up on anything was nice, since it only went were it was supposed to upon tank reinstallation was nice.

Oh yeah, your gonna love me. I have a old Zcar mag that goes over vent line replacement. Heres a site they got all their hoses at http://www.mcmaster.com . Give em a try, they should have all the sizes needed and are located in several locations in the U.S.. I can get you the part #s they listed too if you want. They look to be somewhat molded, but only cost them about $45 for all the hoses. :shock: Not including shipping.

Good luck Chase

I actually closed off all the holes except one for a breather/vent. In order to fill the tank it has to vent as the air traps in the top of the tank and will spill back out the filler tube with out filling.

My vent tube goes to the filler neck..close to the top and has a very small hole in the gas cap to breathe out.

Mike

Guest 240hybrid

Heres the #'s they posted and the sizes too. I hope they still match, being out of a several year old magazine...

1. # 7270K3 1.1" epanded inside Diameter

2. # 5645K12 1/4" ID

3. #5645K24 3/8" ID

4. # 5645K16 1/2" ID

5. # 5645K15 5/8 ID

6. #5645K21 3/4" ID

They didnt list the lengths of those hoses, so I guess just measure your old and I always add around 10% to be safe.

I took a look at the site real quick and if you click "braided hose assemblies" from the first category labeled pipe fittings, tubes, and hoses, etc. At the very top of the next page you'll see category - petroleum hose assemblies and hoses-194 and the sizes you'll need are at the bottom. Good prices too.