HybridZ

UHMW uses?

vashonz

I've been working with uhmw at work recently. Its a pretty neat material, Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic, very slippery, abrasion resistant, easily machinable (I was using a table saw to cut it), does not melt easily (makes molding it very difficult).

My thoughts we to use it for TB spacers rather than the Lexan ones that ive seen, I think it would be more heat resistant (is that an issue?) (we melt lexan with a blow dryer to make tool guards). If anyone has a blueprint for a spacer, send it over, we have a cnc bed mill I can use to make one.

I would like to hear other suggestions for what it could be used for.

Yeah it is awesome stuff. We used it on our adjustable pedal box in our FSAE car, to reduce sliding friction. Worked great.

I'm not sure offhand how pricy it is, but for most spacers and so on I find Nylon, Delrin or Teflon is usually sufficient. (or aluminum in the application you are referring to) I'm not sure that you really gain anything from the properties of this material in the application you speak of...

UHMW is fairly pricey, enough so that I'd want to have an application in mind before spending the money on it. If you can get some for free from work, grab it. It's sure to be useful sometime.

In this month's Car and Driver, there was one exotic car that had a carbon fiber front spoiler with replaceable UHMW skids on the bottom so if you scraped the pavement, something cheaper than carbon fiber would take the bullet.