HybridZ

Maichor needs LS1 advice...

:? I am considering dumping the Camaro tank because the fuel pump and sender are dead (a $400 plus part). I could get a large fuel cell, external regulator, and a nice 255 gph pump for less than that. Summit sells a cell with foam, sump, and a 0-90 Ohm GM sender. I assume that will work with the stock Camaro gauges? :?:

I like the idea of the vapor purge system and everything the stock tank has, but is it worth keeping? A fuel cell would make for a cleaner install and more room for my exhaust. :wink:

I would greatly appreciate any insights.

Can't help out a lot there buddy. I stuck with stock tank, sender & gauge and just added a new external pump & regulator that mounted in the stock position. Remember, though, the 280Z was fuel injected and had a bypass regulator and vapor return system.

As much as you've done with the car at this point though, I think I'd go with the fuel cell. there are folks that can help you out with the sender unit and it's compatability with the Camaro gauge.

Maichor,

If the sender is functioning, you should consider replacing the fuel pump with an aftermaket in-tank pump, like gratanelli, you can find them in the summit catalog for $125, and you could keep the tank.

I'm doing the same swap and intended to buy a fuel cell/pump/regulator setup, but that is close to $600.

Hope that helps.. :D

Which cmaro gauge pod are you using? I found out the hard way that the factory service manual LIES. The 99 sender is NOT 0-90ohm. It is 40-250ohm. My nice new autometer gauge reads half full at empty.

I'd actually be surprised if you could get the fuel cell, regulator, sener, etc, for less than $400. I'm also surprised the the replacement GM unit is so high. You might try valvegod@aol.com. He deals in LS1 parts. Dunno if he'd be able to get something like that, since he mostly just has engine parts. He's great to deal with though - REALLY good prices.

Jeromio, my gauges are from a 2001 WS6 Trans AM. Do you know if it is a 0-90ohm? My guess is that 99 - 02 are all the same. I will check with the source you listed. Garcia, the sender is fried as well as the pump. There are also 2? other sensors in the same in tank unit, tank pressure and fuel pressure? Anyway, I do not know if they work because the pump is not running.

I guess it will be more for the fuel cell setup, these are the prices I found.

$170 for fuel cell and sender (Summit)

$130 for regulator (ls1speed.com)

$145 for pump (ls1speed.com)

Total $445

I will try ebay for a used pump, it would be nice to get one for <$100.