HybridZ

V8 conversion. Which one should I use?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Went to John'c Cars today to get info on 240Z to V8 swap. I wasn't impressed. I heard alot about JTR. I have their S-10 V8 manual. It is awesome. Lots of info. Any others I should look at? I am going to use a 350 w/ carb and a 350 turbo..

Guest Frank280z

In my honest opinion.JTR overs the best conv. kit out there. Near stock weight distribution. And other countless advantages over other conv. kits setting the engine right over the crossmember. Buy their book for the Zs if you aren't sure. Then that should steer you in the direction you see best.

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

Guest Locutus

IMO John's Cars kit is not worth the 600 bucks he wants for it. Not when you can get a better kit for 350 for JTR and it has better instructions. Not to mention if you are mechanically inclined and you have the fabrication tools, JTR will sell you just the book with the plans to make all the brackets for 30 bucks. They are also more helpful and friendly. If nothing else buy the JTR book it will be worth it for at least the other conversion information it has if not for the mounts.

Mike

John's Cars Z conversion- STAY AWAY!

Why pay all that money for a non-setback conversion that won't handle correctly?!

Get the JTR book, read it decide if you want to buy or make the mounts, and buy parts from JTR (Stealth conversions) or Motorsport Auto (speedo cable, etc.)

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Just had to add my $.02 in here as well. Txtrucknut, these guys are right on. I first tried the John's Cars (Scarab) conversion and then switched to JTR http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html It is the only way to go and if you are careful it will look and drive like the factory engineered it that way.

With the lite-weight parts the engine will weight no more than the old Z engine. It will be placed much farther back in the car (completely behind the front axle!) and, (since it's a V type engine instead of a tall SOHC in-line 6) your center of gravity will be lower.

The result is a car that not only rides better than the original car but it handles better and goes like stink!

The 350/350 will be OK but you should check out the rear axle ratio. Without overdrive in the trans. you don't want to rev it to high on the highway. Not that it will hurt it but your mileage will suffer and it might be a bit noisy.

Noe repeat after me....JTR, JTR, JTR, JTR, JTR.