HybridZ

Carpeting the Dash??

Guest uberhahn

Guest uberhahn

I saw some race footage recently (passanger view) of a Ferrari 512BB. Although the footage was cool, I was paying more attention to the dashboard of the car. The dash is very curvy, much like the Z. In this instance, the dash was capeted. It looked like the carpet was very thin, and the hairs were very short. The material was black, and looked like the stuff used to cover the package shelf on sedans (just under the back glass on sedans).

Has anyone done this? I know it was done to cut glare, but if the carpet was adhered properly to the dash, to follow the contour, I think it would look pretty sweet.

I have a dashcap that I am considering using as a test. Will keep all posted, with pics once done.

Guest 240hybrid

I know that you can get a self adhesive carpet not sure where though, I got some off a job at a value city store when they were done with it. I would try a carpet outlet. Maybe try a audio store and ask them where they get it. I used to cover speaker boxs with the stuff. It was a really short/tight nap, not like regular carpet, but a bit shorter than stuff in businesses and such that have the short carpets for easy clean up. If you can find it all you have to do is cut it to fit, and then pull the film off the back and stick clean up the edges and you should have a descent look. I never had trouble with it coming off here in GA in the summer, so it does stick like a SOB. Id be interested in seeing what it looks like when done. Good luck.

A leopard pattern would look quite nice--hey, a lot of guys put it on their motorcyles or car hoods.

It might have been Alcantera (fake suede leather) available from automotive upholstery shops...

Anyway, the idea of using speakerbox cloth might be good, but trying to clean the stuff might be a chore. Then again, if it is in the back of the car, what's the big deal of having the dash done in the same stuff? The Ferrari's that I have seen on the street have almost a leather look to the top of the dash. I'm not sure if it is, but it looks that way.

Other things that take longer but that would look good if done right: carbon fiber, Kevlar or a similar aramid fiber. These products won't split in the sun :D

Davy

Guest greimann

I think the nickname for the Ferrari material is Mouse Fur. If you were going to attempt it, it would need a material that can stretch in multiple directions so it will conform to the curves. I would Look into using headliner material that has a foam backing.

Guest iamjackal

Okay this all ma be pointless but I have access to this carpet at work. If you have ever been in a Toyota Tundra this is the exact carpet used on the door panel around what is called the map pocket. Unfortunately all I have access to and could send you is OAK color. It is super sticky and the only way its comes off is with a heat gun and brute force. If you would like I will find out where we get it and see if they have other colors. I just dont know if they will sell small quantities as ours comes in about a 40 foot roll and 4 feet wide or so. But let me know if I can help you, and know I am not looking for any cash, it would be free of charge as long as I can get out of work with it.

Leather dash would look nice! If you have ever looked at the new lamborghini the entire cockpit area is done in italian leather, and does it look nice!

I would love the smell on that. im a firm believer that if i ever get my seats redone, suede, or faux suede is the best material for a sports car seat.

It shouldn't be too hard to cover the dash. Only the flatter part should have to be covered because this is what causes the most glare/reflection. The curvy part nearest you where the instruments are only creates a small amount of glare, which should be tolerable.