HybridZ

over heating problem on my 240z!?! help!

itazura

My dead stock 240 use to do well when driving around the LA basin, but the first trip to Big Bear with the Santa Anna's blowing and I was forced to stop several time to cool down.

The real early 240's were known to have problems with air turbulence under the car at speed. This prevented a smooth flow of air through the radiator. That is why Datsun eventually fit a chin pan that bolts between the frame rails just underneath the radiator. You can still buy these from MSA.

I eventually solved any overheating by installing the chin pan and having the radiator recored to a 3 row core. I also added an oil cooler, but I think that was overkill.

Guest 240hybrid

Pull the thermostat out and put it in and boil it in water to see if it works properly. Put a thermometer in the water to see what temp its opening at too. Also a fan shroud will help lots if your not running one. I notices a 15 * difference after I didnt reinstall the shroud after swapping motors.