HybridZ

Maxima door locks, direct replacement?

Dan Juday

Well, not exactly.

I had seen posts about how you can buy a cheap set of door locks for your Z ($25) just by ordering '81 Maxima locks. Cool. I need new locks and a set of old junk yard locks sounded bad (pre-worn out) and $300+ from MSA is more than I will spend and more than I need (comes with ignition switch and hatch too). So off to Napa I go. $40 for part# DLK110, two door locks, two keys, all I need. Not $25 but still very reasonable.

Now do they fit? Let me start by saying my car is a '73. If you have a different year your mileage may very.

The answer is yes!.....and no.

They drop right into the hole in the door perfectly, but the crank is longer and not offset like the originals. Yes, I tried to exchange the crank arms, no go, different design. "Well, let's see if that makes any difference." Yes it does. The longer crank pushes the rod attached to it into the handle mechanism. One more thing: The phasing of the swing of the crank (the part of the circle the crank actually swings in) is different too. Oh, boy.

An hour and a half latter I got one to work. After removing the window glass and associated hardware so I could see what was going on I was able to come up with a solution.

The lock crank is connected to a "dog leg" shaped rod that connects to the latch mechanism. Remove the rod from the door and straighten out the dog leg. Don't try to do this with the rod still attached to the latch. It is too easy to bend other stuff in there you don't want bent (ask me how I know). Straightening the rod allows it to clear the handle mechanism and sufficiently lengthens it to compensate for the difference in crank phasing.

Put it back together and you're in business. Hope this helps anybody else in need of new door locks.

I also used maxima locks from autozone as well. They fit perfect, no bending at all? I'm not sure of the year. But I ask the counter guy to get me the earliest year in there catalog. I'm pretty sure it was a 81 model. I took a Z lock to compare. and the arm was less than a 1/16 inch longer.

I also used maxima locks from autozone as well. They fit perfect... I'm pretty sure it was a 81 model...I took a Z lock to compare. and the arm was less than a 1/16 inch longer.

That is absolutely fantastic!! I have been considering barrel locks, but the only ones I find at Pep Boys have "APC" on them---and we know that just won't do on my Z.

Dan Juday: thanks for posting all that information, Bud. Your willingness to share info is admirable....it also keeps me from making the same mistakes :D

Davy

Guest silverbullet

Does anyone know if the same lock dimentions are on the 280z? I have a 77 and would like to try this also, and to second what ON3GO asked is 81 the only Maxima yr. that will work? Fastzcars, how much did you pay at autozone?

Guest EnthuZiast

How about the possibility of using the early maxima lock in a 280ZX. It wouldn't be surprising if it was extremely similar. Any pictures of these suckers?

update . went to autozone , PN#47000 vender's name is "Lockworks".price was increased to $34.95. :oops: I got a price break on the rekey. I had a local datsun restoration shop rekey it for me, along with a handfull he had done. only cost me $25.00.

Guest silverbullet

Thanks for sharing and for the effort Dan Juday and fastzcars. Fastzcars, 35.00 at Autozone, still sounds pretty good to me, if I can't find them there where I am at I can always go to Napa for 40.00 which isn't bad also :2thumbs: