HybridZ

700r-4

madmanadam

:evil:

Well I said I will not work on the car for a while, wellits been a while, one month and now I have to take out the trany.

My turbo 350 decided to crap out and leak all over my garage floor. Oh well

Good news bad news

Sold my 71 Chev truck, the one that I originaly took parts from to do my conversion. I have had this truck for 13 years and planed on restoring. Not no more.

Looking for a 700R-4

Found one on Ebay, but would like to know if anyone has bought from them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=2420691156

Will I ever be done with this car? Nope probably not.

What all is different between the TH350 and the 700R4?

Any info would be great

Thanks

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cbrunberg

That sounds like a good price for rebuilt trans. Did you check their history on e-bay? Is there any feedback on them?

On another note. Does the 2004r mount in the same location as a TH350?I was going to do the 700r4 swap (I have a core). Is the yoke the same as a 350?

Carl

Thanks Carl,

From what I have been told and read the tranys are close in size the mounting of the rear mount is further rear about 6".

The tail shaft does not remove and spline is 27.

I have read the feed back on ebay and it looks good.

The 700r4 is lots heaver than the 200r4.

-Adam

Guest cbrunberg

Hey! I just got off the phone with the guy from Bowtieoverdrives.com. What a great guy. THANKS TIM FOR THE HEADS UP! He was a wealth of information. The 200-4r will fit just where my th350 was (same overall length) only it requires a different rear mount location. Roughly 6 inches further back. I can reuse my yoke and driveline. We discussed gearing, converters, installation procedures (VERY IMPORTANT WITH GM OVERDRIVES) I suggest anyone with a GM Overdrive read his website. I used to work for wholesale trans builder (I was welding and machining trans cases) he didn't know half as much as this guy. I could save some money buying from my old employer but I don't think I would get as good a unit, customer service and support, or warranty. Bowtie overdrives likes hot rods and does retrofits there at his shop. He has all the periferal materials instock.

Again Thanks to Tim...a wealth of info.

I have been to the site, lots of good information.

Myself I'm looking to do a low budget trany swap, because I know myself and know I will take this car apart again and again, till all is right.

If I get this low cost trany and it does not work out well at lease I will have something to rebuild, in my spare time, Right! spare time what is that?

Thanks for the info

Adam

Guest cbrunberg

Go for it! Keep us posted.

Nobody appreciates a do-it yourselfer as much as I do. I love it when people ask "who did that?" and I can say "I did".

I might suggest one of his carb specific TV cable assy's about $110.00. they are a variable ramp type connection. you can set it up so the shift quality is daily driver soft, linear progression, and/or BONSAI!!!! and still have proper clutch pac pressure. Also buy or borrow a gauge 0-300 psi and go thru his install tests. The shop I worked at 700's were the highest come backs. It was always an amatuer install never back from a pro shop. Usually if the tranny works and the install is good it will stay working.

You're going to love it when it's in. It has a lower first gear (can you say hole shot?) and the OD is higher than the 700-r4. in mine we figured a 1300 rpm drop at 70 mph. I'm cruising (or is that screaming) at 3400rpm @ 70 now and we calculated (Steve from Bowtie's and I) it would be 2100 with lock-up after the change.

:-D:-D 8)

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Up Date:

Been driving and slipping, but still driving still the trany arrives.

Got the 200R4 on its way to my house, it should be here Friday and hopfully in by the end of the weekend if all goes well.

Waiting for Summit parts also, more stuff to go on :)

Adam

more pics of car at show (my car) on personal album