HybridZ

differences in ignition modules

Guest sukow2001

Guest sukow2001

ok I got a ignition module at a junkyard, from another 280zx, but they have different numbers on them. My old one says E12-93 and the new says E12-92 and also has a Nissan symbol on it.

What is the difference between the two?

Can I use the new one?

Will it screw up anything if I do?

Guest Venture-Z

how many prongs dose the connector have on it? Was it off the same year car as your's? If the connectors are the same I'd go ahead and try it. If it's on a carburated the one you want is an E12-80. Good luck!

Guest sukow2001

I just got answer at zcar.com and they said they are and E12 is the product code, and 92 or 93 is the year is was made for or something. They also said they are interchange able

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smoov280zx

According to bryan littles site, the module with 2 plugs gets input from the ecu to retard timing or has a more gentle curve. From experience, i can tell you that the older dizzy's(79 or so, with one plug) pull the car along much better. Don't know if that's just the module or the whole dizzy making the difference. My 83 had the single plug on it when i got it, the other wire was just tucked away and the car ran great, pulled hard all the way to "o crap i better shift". :D

Mitch

Guest smoov280zx

where did you see an aftermarket module? Ive never heard of them, but ive only had my z for about 2 1/2 years. Or are you talking about something like a crane hi6 or msd box?

• 1 month later...

I have the two wire 280ZX module and was wondering if anyone knew which connector went where. The pins on the modules are configured as a "T". Doe the top of the "T" spade connector connect to the "+" side of the coil, or vice versa?

Thanks,

Pete

Guest smoov280zx

hey z-ya, im looking at the diagram in the FSM but the boneheads didnt label which side of the coil is positive or negative. I can tell you that the blue wire on the coil, which negative on mine, goes to the top terminal(horizontal if youre standing on the driver side looking at the dizzy). According to this diagram (1983 FSM pEL-26) the wire just goes straight to the dizzy. On mine it doesnt do this, it goes into the wirewrap and the one that plugs into the terminal on the dizzy from the magical "wire wad" is also blue(kind of teal on mine from the dirt). So yeah, its negative on the coil to negative (top spade) on the dizzy. Nothing in between except alot of wire according to the FSM. :2thumbs: The brown wire(which looks red on mine, probably dirt again) on the dizzy plug is tapped into the black with white striped wire from the positive side of the coil, which eventually makes it's way to the igniton switch by way of another tap and goes to the thermo switch(thermotime i guess) as a blue with yellow striped wire. This may not be the easiest thing to read(my post i mean) so if you need more help email me and ill send you a diagram, i probably shouldnt post it here.