HybridZ

Installing new "knock off" rims anyone know anythi

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello I bought some knockoff rims i think they call them and I dunno what to do with the hammer. Also I see it has to be screwed in but wouldn't they fall off? I sund dumb but I am just confused :D

hlp thx

Newbee

I sund dumb but I am just confused

I hope you meant to misspell that :D

As for the knock off's, did you get the adaptors with them? The hammer is for tapping the, well, the thingy that has the two or three spokes on it to tighten the wheel to the hub.

Here's an example of what you should have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33745&item=2420983601

The wheels, hub adaptors, and spinners or whatever they are called.

Installed correctly they won't fall off.

!M!

If they came with a hammer they are probably Dayton or Zenith wire wheels. They should have come with adapter plates that bolt on to your car where your wheels would normally go. Next you place the wheel and tire (already mounted and balanced of course :-D ) and slide the center of the wheel over the adapter. Next take the knock-off ( spinner, center nut, etc. ) and thread it onto the adapter. These threads may be reverse thread if I remember correctly. Try righty-tighty first if that doesn't work try to reverse the thread. Once you have it hand tight, lower the car from the jack or whatever lift and use the hammer to tighten the thread some more. It should be a lead hammer to minimize any damage to the knock off. Try not to hit the dish of the wheels while you're doing this. This is what holds the wheels to your car!

As you drive and the wheels spin, it should further tighten them on. Hope this helps!

Oh yeah....you will also need to beat the crap out of the spinner when you need to take the tire off. And don't leave home without that hammer. (in case of a flat) :D

Make sure the hammer is leather covered--metal to metal contact is a no no.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

thx a lot. So actually hit the spinners with the (covered) hammer? That sounds cool, just seems wierd to be pounding somthing that was screwed in, or do I pound screw, pound screw lol? thx

BTW I didn't mean to spell 'sound' that way :lol: which yes, is sad...lol

N

Help me out guys. Shouldn't you have right hand threads on the left side and left hand threads on the right side? Get them reversed and a big burn out will unscrew your wheels. On the other hand heavy braking could do the same thing, right? Or does it matter since they have pins that keep the wheels from spinning? Well, I guess I don't know. Never had a car with knock-offs but they sure look cool. 8)

I think you're right Dan. It's been a while since I've actually seen wire wheels like these in person but the idea is that they fasten so that the hub will get tighter as you drive. Again, different brands may be styled different, too. I guess it just depends on how these were made.

Guest thepenguin99

Dunno how they do it but the spinners unscrewing isn't an issue. My MGB has wire wheels and I dont have any problems. As far as hammers, a rubber mallet works perfectly.

Yup - the drivers side knock-offs are right hand threaded (tighten turning to the right) and the passenger side knock-offs are left hand threaded (tighten turning to the left).

The Dayton wire wheels were supplied with a lead hammer for installation. Leather and rubber don't have enough weight to tighten the spinner. Of course the lead is soft enough that it won't harm the chrome on the spinner.

• 5 months later...