HybridZ

Best way to find transmission?

JoeinCA

Hey guys, i have been trying(with very little success) to hunt down a transmission to use with my 280Z V8.

I need the overdrive because i plan on logging alot of highway miles...

So i want to use a 700r4, 2004r, t-5, or a t-56(unaffordable).

I was just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations regarding where to aquire reasonably priced, used, transmissions. Preferably in California...Because i am trying to find one of the above listed transmissions, ready to bolt up, for under $400.

I am trying to avoid Junkyards...

I would really appreciate any help or information you guys can provide,

thanks,

Joe.

Under $400 is a tough one IMO. I kow there are GM yards in Rancho Cordova, CA, and there is GM Sports Salvage in San Jose where I bought my V8 and T5 bellhousing. I bought my WC T5 from an ad here on Hybrid over 1 year ago. Good luck...I had to wait a long time before the right one turned up for me.

Davy

If you don't mind the ratios of the 700R4 in a manual transmission you can also look for the A833 4 spd manual. I got one of these for $500 with new clutch and resurfaced flywheel. They are a tough transmission and only weigh in at 80lbs, it is four speed overdrive, almost the same ratios as the 700R4. It is kind of hard to come by, but usually a little cheaper and definitely stronger than WC t-5. It is the mopar A833 OD transmission made for the mid 80's chevy diesel pickup. It has its own unique bellhousing to bolt it to sbc. Just FYI in case you come across one and you don't mind those gear ratios.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1167

That looks interesting..

a833od

1975-1979 A-bodied, F-bodied, 1975-1987 trucks/vans, Aluminum or Iron case

final drive of .73

I'll have to see what the general price range for that transmission is.

Thanks for the help guys.

Joe