HybridZ

Rust problems

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

Alright, here's my situation... I'm 20 and a college student, so money is kind of tight, and so is free time. I bought my '79 280 ZX, and it's currently on jack stands, with a tarp over it. It has no frame rust from what I can see, but there are some holes in the floor pans, and along the rear. I patched one or two of them up using fiberglass, but I don't know if that's gonna hold or what. I don't have the money to get a mig welder, and take lessons. I'm an engine guy, and I can sand and paint, but rust isn't my thing. How much, (ballpark) would it cost to get the rust holes fixed, or get all new floorpans. Anyone in the auburn, alabama area? Good rates? Please help and give some feedback. I love this car, but it's just sitting there, stripped, dead battery and all, so I'm basically making monthly payments on the worlds largest paper weight.

Can't help you on any shops in the Auburn area but I did want to say WAR EAGLE!!

If you want to do a temporary patch you can go the fiberglass route. The rust will be getting worse though until you have time to cut it out properly.

Guest CarGuyChuck

If I can get a good deal on a rental I have no problems at least sandblasting and priming the car, and I've got a drill with one of those tough rust remover sander bits, a power sander, and a sawzall, I can cut stuff out, and if the money is right I can sandblast, but I can't afford a mig welder, and for that mater I don't have the space (no garage) to properly weld in new stuff, and cut out whole floor pans. Thanks for the war eagle, by the way.. ;)

You can always attack the rust with a sander and wire wheel first then coat it with POR 15 to kill the remaining rust. You could then fiberglass it to fill the holes. Not the ideal repair but it should last your college career and then you can repair it properly later.

I graduated from Auburn way back in 1985 so that's the reason for the War Eagle.

Guest CarGuyChuck

I might have to end up doing that. I've been doing pretty good with the car so far. I get plenty of help since I can pay my friends in beer. :) I've stripped the entire interior, and also fixed little things here and there, like window regulators and cigarette lighters. She'll be a nice ride when I get finished, if I ever do. What I need is one of those old school backyard mechanics who understands college kids lack of funds and takes payments. I actually found one guy like that but he keeps my car till everything is paid off. I'm actually thinking about it though cause at least that way it would be garaged, even if I don't get to drive it for a while.

Guest 240hybrid

Why not check out the pawn shops for a welder. Also, Home depot carries a small unit that can be used to weld up to 3/16 steel for pretty cheap(cant remember price offhand, but it wasnt over $300.00) and comes with all the goodies to get to work, plug it in and go to work. Argon gas will produce a much nicer weld, but is not necessary. They provide simple instructions on the proper and different ways to weld too.

If I was in your shoes I would find a descent unit for cheap at a pawn shop,home depot, or ebay. Get some experience welding on some scraps as a self taught crash course. Then cut out your problem areas and weld in a patch, and por 15 the areas that arent rusted too bad just to stop if from progressing. Then in a couple years, or after your getting good with your welder, do the entire floor pans.

Guest CarGuyChuck

That still throws me in the same boat.. I've got spare cash, but I just don't have 300$ to throw into a welder right now. I've got all the tools, and I can probably rent a sandblaster, and use the por, I just really dont have the time to weld. I'm restoring this thing in the parking lot of my apartment complex. :) they're not too happy with that, but screw em', I'm paying the rent.

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I feel you on the apartment deal....Im in a apartment right now too. I have a garage for my 240 turbo project, its extra $ for the garage, but I wouldnt think of leaving my 240 out in the rain. :o Im luck to have a place to work on the Z, but they did stop me from welding. I set off the fire alarm :lol: with a bit of smoke from the undercoating when welding in my roll cage. Fire department was cool and said I could still weld, just watch out for the smoke and keep it under wraps, but the apartment owners got wind of the welding and told me I couldnt do it anymore. I just weld behind my fathers office now. :D Hes a good guy for helping me out when I need it.

Well, I would just go with the route that you already stated of sand blasting and por 15 it for now. Have fun, those sandblasters make a nice mess when all is said and done.