HybridZ

Stupid question, is a plastic boost controller worse than...

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

a metal one? A friend of mine sold me a boost controller today for $30, and the housing of it and everything are all made of plastic, not like cheap crappy plastic, it feels very solid, but... I got to thinking later that maybe it wasn't a good buy? I mean, every other manual boost controller I've seen is made of out metal. It doesn't have a brand name or anything on it either. I shoulda asked on here first before getting it..... oh well I'm sure he'll give me my money back if I dont want it. But is it anything to be concerned about? Is it gonna be more prone to leakage or any other problems? The thing looks like it's never been used.

Does it have a knob on it? Maybe it could be a "Dial-a-Boost" which is the MBC Motorsport sells. I was never very interested in it cause it cost so much (I'd rather build my own MBC out of hardware store stuff or similar) but I got the impression it was made of plastic. As long as you mount the body a little ways from the turbine housing/downpipe to avoid concerns of melting, I think it would be fine though, especially if it looks like a commercially-designed piece. Just my $0.02 though :)

Maybe post a picture of the item here, maybe someone can identify it for you.

Guest bastaad525

Unfortunately i dont have a digital cam..... yeah I have to say it's definately a comercially designed, mass produced item. And yes it has a dial to adjust the spring tension inside, and two threaded holes for vacuum hose fittings.... Most of the metal ones I've seen looked very homemade, this one definately does not :) Now that I think about it, when you mention motorsport, this does seem to look a lot like what I remember their unit going for, I'll have to dig up that old catalog.

It's probably small enough to lay on a flatbed scanner too. Scanning small objects has often worked pretty well for me in the past. If you don't have a scanner either, this doesn't help though :-D maybe you could find a friend that has either a digicam or scanner?

Guest bastaad525

well I do have a very crappy webcam, now that I think about it..... haven't used it in ages, probably in the hall closet. Dont know why but it stopped working in Win98, but if I remember it worked in Win2k, which I also have installed now. But the next hurdle is that I dont have any webspace to post it on, if someone would host it for me?

Guest bastaad525

Okay I got my webcam and too a (very fuzzy) pic, and uploaded to my personal gallery here, but I can't figure out how to post it here in the thread, and if I try to link to it, whenever I type in that address it says "not authorised" so... what do I do?

here is the link to where I posted it on the hybrid z public gallery, maybe you guys will have more luck.

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=1223

You're right, it said "not authorized" to me too. I logged in, clicked on your "Profile" tab, and got to your personal gallery that way. You weren't kidding about that picture being fuzzy :( I've never seen a Dial-a-Boost in person, maybe someone who has can recognize it from your pic. You could try to get some more light on the controller, maybe from behind the camera or more directly above, it's clear that your cam has a hard time with dark images. Some more light at the right angles could bring out some more detail.

Guest bastaad525

okay for some reason pics just arent showing up, and giving 'Not authorised' messages if you try to open them. However, if you right click over the little white box with the red square and do 'save as' you can dl it to your pc and view it that way.

Guest bastaad525

ah well I guess no one knows what it is.... I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a pos that would cause some kinda problems for me.....