HybridZ

cutiing of fenders for ZG flares?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys,

do you guys gut your fenders when ur running ZG flares?

im trying to see what needs to be done total for when i put my rims on and lower it. rims and tires together now on my car messure up to 24 1/2 in's, my new tires and rims will be like 26 to 27 i was told.

going to be lowering the car about 2 in's.

trying to figure how much its goinna cost me, because if i do need to cut the fenders im letting a shop do that.

thanks.

I'm running a 26inch tire. Rims are 17x9, tires are 245/45-17. One of the first days out, the car squatted and the fender lip ripped a 6-inch gash out of my tire (which I still haven't replaced).

I can't really say about the lowering, doesn't that depend on where you are taking your reference? Say the lower perch of the coil overs or stock perches, etc.

All I've done after the incident is roll the lips, haven't had any marks or gashes in the tire since then. I have about 1.5 inches clearance between the tire and the fender lip. If you can get them cut and re-welded, I would do it since they wouldn't show under the flares.

Owen

Guest DATTO

hey

ive had my ZG flares for years now but when i first installed them i had 15x7 panasports with 225-50 tires and i never had to cut the fender wells. but i did have to roll the lip and had no rubbing problems, i had some motorsport springs that i cut to even lower the car more and had no probs...i now have 15x10 watanabes in the rear and had to cut the fender wells...the fronts were 15x8.5 and didnt have to be cut. email me again if you have any questions.

mike

Guest ON3GO

ill email you but also would you happen to have pics of your fender's cut?

ive been looking for wartanabe's just like what you have (didnt u buy them from stony?) but havent had luck so i gotta get different rims.

Guest Zachb55

i think i have 15x8's all around, im not really sure on the sizes, but my tires are bald so i need new ones anyways. im going to roll my fender lips before i put my ZGs on just in-case. i think that solves most peoples problems, but i know im not going to have anywhere near the diameter wheel/tire combo that you will, so your only option might be to have them cut and welded up. I know i saw a picture of this somewhere, but i just cant recall it, i know it was a bronze-ish colered car that was getting some big flares put on and the old fenders had been cut and welded up quite a bit, and this made ample room for some big wheels if they had wanted them.

Guest JAMIE T

On my '73 I removed about 1.5" from my rear wheel well lip. I welded to inner and outer wheels wells together. Ground it smooth when it was done. My '71 was done years ago. The original modifier just cut the wheel well out and left it(not welding it up). This the WRONG way to to it. The 235/60/14's get gashed when going over high speed dips in the road.

The front fender lip on '71 does not rub, and is not modified. I am going to cut out the lip on my '73 when I get to that point. I haven't put those fenders on yet(new Nissan). I'm still in the body work stage on my '73. The '71 will get parted out when the '73 is drivable.