HybridZ

Removing the chrome window trim..>????

Guest sweething_2_5

Guest sweething_2_5

Does anybosy have a process that they have written for doin this....like the apint and everything to get from start to finish???

Thanks

Jason

77 280z

I don't think anyone has...did you want how to remove the trim or did you want how to paint the car start to finish?

For the trim, which window? If hatch and windshield, take a small flat screwdriver and slide it under the trim and all the way around the perimeter of the window. It's worked for me in getting new trim from the junkyards.

As for paint, do a search on "recommended books". I think we discussed some such as House of Kolor's book and another one called How to Paint Your Car. This will give you a pretty good idea of where and how to start, then if you have more specific questions, someone may be able to help you.

Owen

Guest sweething_2_5

Ok what i ment be that is i wanted to paint them not the car..... i heard it was easier to paint the chrome trim than to remove it.... so id there a way to paint the trim.... and how do you go about doin it....

Thanks

Jason

77 280z

Guest Zachb55

ok, im going to assume you mean all of the chrome stuff on the car, and in any case, painting chrome is pretty much the same wherever it is. You will first want to clean the surface with a Wax & Grease remover, which will take out contaminants, then you might want to mask off the rest of your car to make sure you dont hurt your other paint if you care about it. next you will want some like 400 grit sandpaper, or a purple scotch-pad works really well, and is a lot easier. then for proper adhesion youll want to clean again and prime the pieces wit han etching primer, then if there are imperfections you can continue wit ha filler primer, or just go straight to a paint, i did mine with rattlecan flat, you can buy acrylic enamels and such and add flatteners or whatnot depending on what you want to do. if you just want glossy or flat black i would suggest you went with a spray tyoe because it's cheap, easy, and doesnt require special equipment which im going to assume you dont have (air compressor, spray gun...) after that let it dry and do a couple coats for good coverage, then remove the masking tape and WA-LA you have the blacked out chrome effect, which i hope to be sporting as soon as i get my car put back together. HEy i got my gas and brake lines in today, they are painted black, against my yellow car i think it looks awesome, ill have pics on my site soon, i hope you guys dig it as much as i do. good luck with your chrome-painting sweething! :wink:

-Zach

Guest Zachb55

OH BTW, i removed all of my chrome, and everything that was chromed, or metallicy (is that a word?) has been painted black (atleast on the exterior, still some chrome inside, oh well...) so it was a lot easier for me to make sure i didnt paint my car with black cause it was at the paint booth while i shot the trim pieces in my garage... i guess it wasnt really easier seeing as how i had to remove them and still have to put them back on for the final effect, but i get the reassurance that i did it to the best of my ability, but that doesnt mean you HAVE to take all the parts off to paint them, just make sure you do a good job masking, and if your not confident in your ability to do that, go to a local paint store and ask them for some tips on masking and what you should do to keep from ruining you paint job.

-Zach, again...