HybridZ

Hood=to-cowl Seal?

Phantom

My '77 280Z has never had a seal between the hood and the cowl - at least in the 11 years I've had the car. I have seen multiple sketches where one of these is installed. Was that a feature on the 240/260 not carried over to the 280 or should I have one there? I didn't have seals on my windshield wiper posts either until I saw them in a sketch,looked hard at my car and saw remnants of the old ones. I now have those seals as well as new cowl to body seals, hood guides, inspection port, bumpers, etc. I also have always had the seal between the hood and the radiator core support which is evidently getting hard ot find.

Anyway, anyone out there that knows if I need to install a hood to cowl seal?

Yes there is a seal there. The factory seal had a series of metal clips that ran through it from end to end ( I think they were all connected together in a strand inside the piece of weatherstripping). The aftermarket ones I've seen do not have the metal inside them, and require that you glue the piece down (3M weatherstrip adhesive) By the way I am a faithful reader of your "updates" in the chevy forum, and I have to say I am very impressed with your swap thus far. NOW GO GET THAT RED TA!!!!!! :rockon:

Guest zfan

I purchased the after market set from British Victoria and was dissapointed to say the least. I used rtv sealant and it failed within a year leaving a messy trail of old rtv on my pretty car's paint where it wouldn't stay sealed right.

I gave up and thru it away and never got that trim area to clean up very well :cry:

Mike