HybridZ

New project 280Z, engine suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello to all on the board. Just picked up a 1976 280Z and could use some honest advice. How much power (semi-streetable) can a naturally aspirated 2.8 or 3.1l support? I would love to stay fuel injected if at all possible. A Chevy V8 swap doesn't really appeal to me nor does turbocharging. I just sold my T3/4 SVO and want a simple n/a car to autocross, open track and drive on the street a few thousand miles a year. The car is a 1976 280Z, do I have the R200? Are five speed swaps easy-other Nissan cars or T-5? If there are any FAQ listings someplace to answer my basic questions I'd appreciate a nudge.

Welcome to HybridZ !

Alot of the componants are swapable between the years and doing a search here on your topics will bring HOURS of results.

Yes, you should have an R200 rear diff.

As for the build up of your engine, I`m sure others with more experience will help you with some answers.

Guest 240hybrid

You can make a nice street car that should beat 4.6 mustangs with some parts from MSA http://www.zcarparts.com. A aftermarket air intake, 60mm throttle body, a cam , headers, and exhaust should get you there with the stock fuel injection. All this I would put about the price of about $1200.00.

I cant say from expecience, but from what Ive been told you can get more power (less fuel economy, but who cares :D ) with triple webers. Their not a cheap setup either, they run $1500,00 from MSA :shock: . That'll make you think twice about this setup. Someone that has experience with the triple webers might chime in and give their experience and knowledge.

All these goodies are availiable from the site above. MSA is a great company offering many items for Zs. You can order a catalog from their site or buy off the site. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Chase