HybridZ

Turn signal switch finally fizzled out

Guest Neil

Guest Neil

My trun signals on my 76 280 have been slowly dieing over the last 6 months. They used to work for a while before the car got to warm, now they don't work at all. However, the hazards work just fine. As I understand it, the two functions work through different fuses/switches. I had a guy look at it and he suggested replacing the turn signal switch. Fine by me, I want my car to be safe for the summer as it will become my daily driver and I'll have to transport my 2 year old son on occasion (which my wife is not too happy about). Anyway, in looking for the part, I've found it listed in the MSA catelog and the Victoria British Catalog. VB has it listed for $240 and MSA for $120. Why the big difference? Are they diffent parts? VB had a diagram, but MSA didn't so I couldnt compare them. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate some input. If not, I'll just call the companies.

Or.....If anyone has any other suggestions, that'd be fine too. I realize a lot of guys are parting out their 76s here recently. You may see a request in the buy/sell/trade section in the next few days.

thanks

Don't know why the parts have such different prices. Seems rather crazy.

But do yourself a favor and look at Pete Paraska's site. He has wiring diagrams for updating the turn signals with relays. This mod takes a lot of the current out of the switch and makes it live longer.

From what I read on Pete's site, I think it is possible to take your existing switch apart and clean up the contacts with a piece of emery cloth. For $240 it is worth a shot.

• 1 month later...

I was going to suggest that you make sure the flasher unit is working because you can't fix that.

I had my T.S. switch apart for cleaning. It's just two metal blades with a sliding plate. cleaned it with mineral spirits, then a light coating of grease and it works fine. Make sure you grease the switch mechanical stuff, too, so it will move easily enough. Too much grease will prevent it from staying ON when you let go.

Unless the metal parts are broken, I don't see why it would ever stop working.

• 2 weeks later...