HybridZ

Chrome in Front and Rear window Gasket

Depends on how old your gasket is. If it is original and hard, forget it, the gasket will break off. If it's a new gasket, and/or soft take the corner pieces off first, and slowly pull the chrome trim out.

Re-installing may be tough, it's recomended to install the chrome with the gasket on the windshield, then install the windshield. Not sure how hard it would be with the gasket and windshield already installed.

OK, I took mine off:

Chrome pulled off easily. Scrub off the crud underneath with scrub brush & lots of water. Then go get your best pocket knife and sharpen the blade. Sharpen some more... now you can slice off the ridges holding the knife flat along the paint. Take your time & do it right the first pass.

Now, I just need some black RTV stuff to fill any gaps, or is there a better method? One corner of the windsheild pulled out a little to leave a small hole.

The rest looks nice with the wide rubber seal. Maybe just a little (rubber) polishing?

Guest Zachb55

sounds good man, imma do this too, but im putting new seals in and i figure i will just see how it looks without the trim in there, and if it looks odd (what did you think?) without a piece in it, i'll go ahead and trim the lips off.

-Zach

I got a really nice straight cut with a (wide) blade. Make sure it's SHARP. I did have to go back and trim some really thin slices off to make it really smooth, and a little scraping with the blade,too.

I have more to do yet; I didn't want to get it all at once. It'll be better that way.

Remind me to put tape on my knuckles next time i do this. Keeping the blade flat & low rubbed my knuckles raw. :evil:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zachb55

well i do know they make rubber renewal products, not to sure on how well they work, but i bet if you went down to a local parts house they would have something to make it look newer in stock.

-Zach