HybridZ

Restrictors, where to get them?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay I just order the parts to make one of the Grainger valve boost controllers. Cost me a whopping $18 :) Problem is I dont have access to a drill to drill the tiny .020" hole in the 90 deg hose barb fitting, so I want to do it the 'older' way which is to attach a tee to the hose here, and run a pressure vent hose with a restrictor in the end of it. (the purpose of this hole is to vent air and keep vaccum off of the WG diaphram) The problem is..... I still don't know where to buy restrictors! Can someone please tell me where I can find them? I just need one that goes in the 3/16" inch hose, and takes the size of the hole down to about .020". My only other option is to do it the even more cheesy way which someone suggested, which was just to bore a tiny hole into the hose here (that I can do as I have a reamer tool) but I'm worried that under pressure this hole would eventually start to get larger. But I'd really like to just put a restrictor in there..... where can they be had??

What do you mean when you say you don't have access to drill a .020" hole in it? I have no idea where you'd get the restrictors but think it would be easier to go find/buy/borrow a small .020" bit and just drill it, no?

Guest bastaad525

I have only one friend who owns a drill and he lives some 40 miles away..... so it would actually be easier to get a vacuum tee, extra hose, and restrictor from the local auto parts store (if they do carry the restrictors, that is) then it would be for me to drive to his house to use his drill (there's ALWAYS traffic going out that way unless I go after 9pm!). I've called around a couple of the local auto parts stores and, though they may have them or not, the people on the phone didn't know what I was talking about. If it's a matter of not being able to buy one of these anywhere else than say going thru a junk yard to find one, then yeah it will be easier to go use my friends drill.

525 - hope you didn't take my post in the wrong way. I just re-read it and it sounded like it could have come off in the wrong way. What i meant when i said "what do you mean you can't..." i meant, that was it that you couldn't get to it (installed in a tight place) or was there another problem? Anyhow, i wish i had more knowledge about the restrictors for ya. Maybe you could buy a drill, use it for the one tiny hole and return it? Just a thought. Good luck.

Guest bastaad525

I might do that... buy and return the drill, I really dislike doing it though.. I dunno it seems like bad karma for me, not the kind of thing I want especially in regards to any parts going on my car! Dont worry I didn't take the post the wrong way :) The part I'm drilling the hole in is no hard thing to get to, just not having the drill is the problem. I'm thinking of taking it to home depot and asking them to drill it for me, theyve done stuff like that in the past...... really surprised that no one seems to know where to get restrictors though, being as they seem to be a fairly common part used with turbo setups?

I feel the same way as you about doing something like that. If my Z blew up, i would blame that part forever! lol. Just a thought. Didn't you say someone else was doing the T-swap for you? Maybe the person that's doing the swap would drill it out? Anyway, good luck.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I've not the space time or tools to do it myself... plus I'm a lazy bastard :-P good idea though I'm sure that guy has a drill, I'll ask if he can do it.