HybridZ

twin turbo 302 240z?

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

the ideas are running through my head...i got the 240z that ghost and i picked up free..i got the paper work almost done...now im trying to decide what i want to do with it...one of my idea's are a fi twin turbo 302 ford with a 5 speed. maybe an auto..not sure yet. i can get a 5.0 roller motor cheap with all the injection parts, 30lbs injectors, 2 chrysler t03 turbos or subaru turbos.... anything else i would need i can get here local in california. i thought about the rb swap, maybe an sr20det, but they cost $$$$...i can get everything i would need here locally for under $1500. im sure i can get the motor and trans for 600-800 with harness and ecu. so does this sound like a plan or will it be too much of a pain in the a$$? i know ill have one of the first around. and how many cars out there will smoke me on the street...lol...this is a pipe dream right now but it could be reality! think i can cram it all in there?

Guest bigjim240z

lol..that was funny man...ya..it will be a weekend street car..maybe drag race it now and then...i know an aod is a pile of crap..so i dont want that trans..and a c4 wouldnt be very good either..well..a 5 speed might be my old good option.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

personally I would base my trans selection on how the eng is being build. I dont think there was ever a 302 built (stock) that the crank will hold up to twin turbo. Hell, every 5.0 mustang I have heard of that has had even a mild supercharger on it has busted the crank (unless a new crank has been dropped in). If you are going to build it for torque then an auto would probably be better for drag and such, but if you are going to try to build it to rev :twisted: then a manual would be tons of fun and would make better use of the higher rpms.

What all are you planning/thinking of doing to the 302?

What rear-end gearset are you going for?

Guest bigjim240z

i dont expect the car to have huge amounts of hp....i want to use a bone stock 5.0 engine from a mustang, add the larger injectors to reduce the chance of detonation, and 2 stock t03 dodge daytona turbos.im not sure what intercooler to use but ill find one that will be sufficent.. i dont expect to make more than 400 rear wheel hp...should i expect to make more than the stock bottom end can handle?..im built a few turbo l6 mototrs..nothing really radical...so the v8 twin turbo setup would be new to me..

Guest bluex_v1

http://www.turbomustangs.com

...FAQ's, project cars, and bbs's

I'm thinking about this too, trying to leave room in my install for a future upgrade to a big single with an initial shot of n2o. If you can figure out how to do the plumbing and still keep it SFI, I will bow down before you :D

Have you been to the web site toohighpsi.com ? It has some really great info on stuff like this. Some of this guy's stuff was built on used junkyard parts and the such. His T-bird lasted years on it. There is another guy that did a stock 5.0 twin turbo car. I'll see if I can find the webpage.

The stock 5.0 is good for up to close to 500 HP I thought. I am not 100% sure on this. I believe the twin turbo 5.0 guy is close to 400HP. I'll look into this more for you.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tom sixbey

i know your probably dead set on the turbo thing, but if you only want 400 HP, you can get it with a set of AFR heads on a stock bottom end, cam and intake system (see car craft magazine - june or july issue i think). they were using the 165 heads on a stock 91 bottom end if i'm not mistaken...

Guest bluex_v1

Not trying to answer for pipelayer or anything, but...

My considerations are for a 'streetable' 400+ HP to the wheels (is that an oxymoron?). I'm thinking any 400 HP NA 302 is going to be a real PITA on the street...and I'm assuming that you could get that same peak HP level (and then some) with turbocharging, while still maintaining a decent torque profile for the street before the boost hits (or while you have the boost turned down for commuting)

Heres a budget 400HP 302:

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/sherman/400pg1.jpg

The graph they have on page 4 sucks though... doesnt show below 3k RPM.

Guest bigjim240z

ya..i dont want a big cammed monster..i want somthing with stock idle, smooth and easy to start in the morning, quiet and in stealth mode till the boost starts coming on...and just the sound of a 302 twin turbo gets my heart thumping..how many 302 tt 240z's are out there?..i want to be know like darious..lol..i want a unique car!..thanks for all the help..this is a fun topic.

Guest bigjim240z

i dont man..but you would like it im sure!...i like your idea. i would just drop in a nice 302 with aluminum heads, cam, aluminum intake and a huge holley with big exaust. im sure it would be very quick and not get beaten by much on the street, but the 302 tt would be so unique, i know of no one on the internet or anywhere with a 302tt 240z.

Go to toohighpsi.com and look on there...somewhere is his 351TT T-bird. You can download a vid of him taking off on the street. It is pretty sweet. Lays down a lot of rubber.

I know this is not a 5.0TT but close...sorta.

Enjoy,

Jason

Guest tom sixbey

still check out that car craft issue though.. - i swear they used a stock 91 bottom end and cam with only the AFR 165 heads and the necessary intake/exhaust...

a turbo 302 would be really quiet though.. i was dreaming about building a fuel injected 327 (302 stroker) with a single t66 turbo, but i dont know if i'm going to be able to afford that... - go to turbo mustangs.com, and check out some of their engine combinations. - its a cool page because it lists the combos and gives corresponding dyno and 1/4 mile results for each car....

keep this post alive - i'm real intrested in learning about what you find!

Guest bigjim240z

you know, im not planning a high dollar swap. i gona grab a couple of good used chrysler turbo's and fab everything myself, ill also use single npr intercooler with a completely stock 5.0 efi motor. the only upgrades will be larger injectors and a big fuel pump. this is gona be a junk yard conversion lol. i dont want to spend some outragous amount of money on the motor alone. my car is getting a full urethane suspention, nice wheels and tires and a high quality paint job. i want it to look as good as it runs.