HybridZ

GNZ !?

evildky

ok I was really wanting to go with an RB swap but kinda pricey and would take me a year to scrape up the cash, I just found a grand nat turbo motor complete but in peices, older guy had all the machine work done was gonna be a track car but had some health issues not just wants to get rid of it for $1000, is this a deal or should I try to get him down more ? or should I hold out for the rb ?

Couple of depends!

If it is an 84-85 motor, I say pass. If it is a 86-87 then it depends on what he means by complete. If it is missing things like the headers, intake, upper plenum, turbo, coilpack/ignition modules, blah, blah, then MAYBE. All those parts are available but you are going to end up nickel/dime yourself to death.

That might not be all so bad because it is so easy and cheap to pull an extra 100hp out of the stock engine, it could be worth it. Get a complete inventory list and lets see what he's got. You definitely want more than the parts that a machine shop would work on.