HybridZ

another air compressor question

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

my dad is thinking about getting a compressor for his garage and went to sears where the guy there wanted to sell him a two stage compressor that has a max psi of 175. the thing is it only puts out i think 5.5 cfm at 90psi. the sales man said that more psi is better than more cfm. i have always thought that you should get as much cfm's as posible that way you dont have to stop while you are working to let the tank fill up. anyway if someone could clear this uo for me i would appreciate it, and i think i am going to go to bed :ugg: . thanks

More PSI means it can stuff more air in the same size tank. This means the compressor won't cycle on and off as often under intermittent use.

If you run a tool continuously (like a DA or grinder), then you are right, the CFM rating is what you need to look at. Most high volume tools run at pressures around 90 PSI so that is a good number for comparison. Most air tools list there CFM consumption, so look at some of those to see if the compressor will keep up.

What you will find is it takes more horsepower to up the CFM rating. You will need 220V to get any useful numbers.

BTW, stay away from the oilless compressors at Sears (if that is what you looked at). Many guys on here have complained about the noise and some claim they wear out quicker.

Guest 400 ci 280z

the compressor was black and only had a 25 gallon tank, so it is probally the same one. that compressor cost almost a $100 more than my 33 gallon single stage that has i think 6.4cfm @ 90psi. but the sales person said that you could run any air tool without a problem with that 2-stage compressor. next time i am up there i am going to say something to them. thanks.

chris