HybridZ

MGs have Pushbutton Door Locks

TomoHawk

I saw one at the shopping center the other day. Just a button sticking out of the door, just like the lock on the hatch of a Z. If somebody has pictures of the mechanism of the MG door lock, would you please check to see if it uses a pushrod that pushes down, as the Zcar door uses?

I thought that it would be easier to just stick two MG pushbuttons on the Z car doors and adjust the length of the pushrod. That way you could use the MG key for all the locks and the Z key for the ignition.

Much simpler than designing a new lock mechanism.

I`ll look at my wife`s MGB tommorow sometime. If I remember correctly... The MGB does NOT have a rod at all.

I think it just has a pad that trips a mechanism directly on the door latch. The door latch is very close to the top of the door.

arhh I with you now, I think - you want to see if the push button things on MGs can be put in place of the MG door pull push buttons thus having one key for all three locks - is that right?

• 5 months later...

I'm getting some new ideas on this thing again. I took out my extra pull and cut off metal around the base, about 1/8 in or so ( eyeballed it). That makes the threaded part about 3/16 inches longer than stock.

I also noticed that the handle is solid and you could drill & tap a hole there for a mounting screw or a pin ( keeps it from turning).

GTO GUYS NEED SOME INFO: How thick is the door outer skin after you bond on the door skin? I think after cutting around the base mof the pull, there should be plenty ofthreads to get the nut on, including a sheet-metal bracket for the bellcrank mechanism.

No pics yet- still brainstorming. You know- winter...

• 3 weeks later...