HybridZ

undercoating removal

chucky

I started to disasemble my zx this week, and I have a ton of undercoating to remove. what works the best? are there any solvents or strippers that work, or do I have to grind it off. I heard that you can use dry ice and chip it off.

Guest cbrunberg

The heat gun and scraper are good for the bulk. Grinding tends to schmir it all over and thin the base metal. A wire wheel on a grinder isn't bad for after the scraping. a small hopper-gun sand blaster is what I use. They are about $30 in tool catalogs. Sometimes Brake clean or acetone or xylene will work but you have to test it on your particular undercoating. When relacing it NAPA has a reasonable house brand in arisol cans or eastwood supply sells Shootz brand you can spray with a compressor and their gun (not expensive).

:) Carl

Thanks,

I am on my second wheel now and I think it should see me through, if not a maximum of 3 will be used as I am, well over half way now.

They are only $25AUD each so it not a huge issue, probably converts to around $13US.

The only problem I have which you hit on the head is patience, or perhaps endurance. Lying on my back holding power tools above me gets tiring and frustrating and as such it has taken me much longer than it should. I would say if you had a rotisserie (and the more comfortable working condition it provides) it could be done in a matter of 2-3 days.

Need to stock up on my POR-15 supplies soon, not going to be cheap!

Guest Your Car is Slow

Just out of curiosity....how bad IS the metal under the original undercoating starting to rust on the average?

Meaning..if it was left there (given that its not cracking and peeling away)...is it still rusting underneath??

DM' date='

Not to mention all the debris that will fall on your face, into your armpits and into your shirt if you're not suited up well and have a respirator and enclosed goggles!!! That's why we're lucky enough to have a rotisserie at work. But think of the workout you get to keep you in shape - right?!!

RacerX[/quote']

hehe, you feel my pain.

My clothing items has slowly evolved over the sessions from an old tracksuit, paper face mask and goggles to the current trade jumpsuit, hair bandana, filtered respirator mask, goggles, face sheild and ear muffs.

Takes a bit of scrubbing to get it off exposed skin but it looks impressive to others when you come inside the house :roll:

As for rust underneat the factory undercoat I have found none other that the passenger frame rail which has previously been repaired by another owner. I guess I am sort of wasting my time but i think it is worth it for piece of mind before pumping big dollars and horse power through a 30 year old body.

Actually if any of you get a chance I wouldnt mind opinions on the quality of the rust repairs done to my car, both the sectioned frame rail and the floor/firewall seam.

Thanks

Guest Your Car is Slow

Ah..so as long as the factory undercoating is in good condition without cracks or obvious damage..then chances are the metal underneath is fine?

I know I have some areas to fix....but going through the nightmare to strip the whole car is a bit much if im just going to add undercoating again :)

Im going the sandblaster route..im lazy :D