HybridZ

Question for the Suspension Experts!

Someone here once posted a pic of what appeared to be a RX7 with a single coil spring mounted horizontially between the rear strut towers.

My question is has or can this be done to a 240Z?

Why you ask? I need to run at least a 275 rear tire and eliminating the coils around the struts would allow this.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Guest trickz

Mark,

I've seen some street rods with this type of front suspension(it looks very exotic), and very clean from the outside.Do you have pics??. This Co.advertises in Street Rodder mag. jim smith suspensions???

TrickZ/ John

Guest trickz

Mark,

I've seen some street rods with this type of front suspension(it looks very exotic), and very clean from the outside.Do you have pics??. This Co.advertises in Street Rodder mag. jim smith suspensions???

TrickZ/ John

It would probably work better on the z then the rx7. You see this kind of set up on formula v race cars. They run it very stiff to make the swing axel behave more like a bean axel. Its kind of silly to do this on a the z. You would need to fabricate push rods and rockers and make holes in the unibody for the push rods to go through. I would never do it on a street car. Dont forget the rear of the z is chapman strut as well so the shock need to stay to locate the wheel or you will need to convert to upper wish bones as well. Do post a photo or link though, we might be talking about different things.

Douglas

Are you using the stock springs??

If so, most guys switch to an adjustable coilover setup with 3.5" springs instead of the stock 6" diameter (not shure about the exact coil diameters by the way) so you gain an 1 to 2 inches in tire width without adding fender flares

Or am I understanding what your trying to acomplish??