HybridZ

Buick GNX I/C, anyone use(d) one on their Z?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Getting a GREAT offer on one of these for a very (VERY!) good price of $50, I'm thinking it must be a good unit to have been used on the much-lauded GNX. Anyone know how well these perform and/or how hard it would be to rig one up on my 240? For the price being offered the deal is very hard to resist.... please tell me this is a good or even a decent IC (better than the Starion one at least??).

I used to use one on my car. They are one of the better factory issue intercoolers but, they not as good as a aftermarket one. I picked up 4 mph when I changed from the GN to a HKS model. The intercooler pipes were changed at the same time and I think some of the added power come from the better pipe setup as well as a better flowing intercooler. One thing that I would do if I were to use one again is to moddify the inlet side of the intercooler. If you look around on the Buick boards you'll find a Kenny Detw....... intercooler neck kit. Basically you cut the first couple of inches off the neck of the intercooler and weld on a new one. It is supposed to remove the most restrictive portion of the unit. there are some GN guys with very fast cars still using the factory intercooler so it couldn't be all that bad.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I did some research on it and found that neck you were talking about, dutweiler or detweiler, and yeah there are lots of pages of guys running 11 sec GNX's with stock I/C's :) kewl thanks for the tip Cody!

Lots of Buicks making big HP with the stock I/C and remember, on the Buick, the I/C is mounted between the engine and radiator :eek: The front side of the stock I/C setup has a box with a large scoop on the bottom and on the engine side there is a fan.

The ultimate would be what is referred to a 'Stretch" or "I/C and a 1/2", where half of a core is attached to full core and the tanks extended. That combined with the Duttweiler necks in a FMIC configuration could easily support 450rwhp. Of course, it will not be priced like a Starion :D but if you are planning on running big turbo HP, cheap I/Cs should not be considered.

Guest bastaad525

was hoping you'd pitch in here Scottie :) anyways in this case I AM considering cheap... the price being asked for the GNX I/C is only $50! I was already sold on it but now I'm even more anxious to get it already :twisted: I'm going to look into the duttweiler neck and probably have that ready to go by the time I install this I/C... man what a deal I can't believe some of the luck I'm having getting stuff together for this turbo... not used to things going my way so much :-P