HybridZ

MC/brake booster pushrod length

This is somewhat discussed in a topic below, just want to confirm something. When I went to 280ZX rear discs on my 240Z, a also put in the ZX 15/16 MC and a bigger-than-my-71's '72 ('73?)+ booster. I want to put a 7/8" MC back in, but my old one isn't compatible, it needs a much shorter pushrod from the booster.

So, are there just two configurations of booster pushrod length (long and short) and MC piston socket, and if so, should any 7/8" MC after '72 ('73?) work with my long-pushrodded booster?

Dan,

I think the pushrod lengh requirment is dependant upon what M/C is used and not the booster. So any pushrod that came behind a 7/8" M/C will work. Also, I actually think the pushrods are the same lengh, only the agjusting tip is a different size. Does that make any sense?

Joe

Unfortunately the adjusting tips don't just screw right off. I twisted the threaded rod in two trying to remove the short one from my old booster. It's got some funky looking locking threads. I'm certain that later 7/8"MCs are compatible with the longer tipped pushrod, I just need to know the exact years and if there's more than two pushrod+tip length/MC piston socket configurations.

Dan

Dan, I don't know. There are at least 5 different boosters that I am aware of, and probably some more.

I have wondered why a simple spacer between the MC and the aluminum piece on the front of the booster wouldn't help with the pushrod problem. Like you said, adjusting the pushrod is almost impossible.

John