HybridZ

Right Hand Drive

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello from the otherside of the world!

I'm interested in doing a V8 conversion into a 'Zed.

For cost's sake it would be a 280z or zx as the 240's and 260's are 'classics' in NZ and command a premium not usually justified by their condition.

280's on the other hand remain affordable and from what I've read have the advantage of the r200 diff as standard.

Is there anyone out there who knows and is willing to share about the swap into a RHD car? smile.gif

i have put a 327 chevy in a 260z i have not quite finished it yet but its close.

what would you like to know .

i have had to suck it and see becauce it is right hand drive but the guys on this site are great.

reguards garry

Guest Anonymous

Greetings,

Well being a Yank, this is speculation because I've not seen a right drive Z here. But, I think MSA (Motorsports Auto) has a Zx kit for a chevrolet (Holden), I'm thinking it should still work the same, only reverse the spacers for the engine mounts from one side to the other, that way (and no I've not seen the ZX MSA kit either) the engine should end up in the same position just tilted the other way away from your steering column.

The only thing that might be weird here is if you used a T-5 that had the 18 deg slant, but then I'd suspect you guys might have the same bellhousing but maybe slanted the other way? Anyway, thats some things to chew on anyway, wish I could be more definite, but as I say I've not seen a RHD Z(ed). :D Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. With the laws as to modififiying cars in NZ what you can do as far as welding up your own engine mounts etc is very limited.

Significantly increasing the power :D will lead to the Low Volume Certifier - the engineer licensed by the govt to pass your modified car for registration - to ask some serious questions about what you have done brakes/suspension wise.

It makes a lot of sense (I think) to make a

plan first. I was thinking about getting the JTR book, as from what I've read about it, it covers the whole package. As well as getting some help as to how to make engine/gearbox mounts so I can formulate a plan (and a budget!).

My brother has been down the "suck it and see" path" with building his fiat club racing car, and I got to say, it has its moments.

I'd like to avoid some of them, if I can. Cost of course is a major factor. Ideally I'd like an alloy head 350 chev and 5spd manual, but a 283 and auto probably more realistic.

Aaron,

I have a 350 in my 260 2+2. I bought it converted with a cert. In a lot of ways I am surprised that it has a cert. The brakes are standard and the mounts are just ears welded onto the cross member. When i start work on it (few other project to do first) i will make them a bit better. Dont forget to study the trade and exchange. There are deals to be had. I wouldnt settle for any thing smaller then a 350. If you need some photos e-mail me and i will take some.

Cheers

Douglas

Aaron,

Body work mostly. They drivetrain is fine. I hate the 2+2 shape and there is rust in the roof so i am going to chop it and reprofile it a little so it looks like a longer 2 seater. I also plan to make a back bone chasssis that will attach to and run along the trans tunnel and then join up the strut tops. A new exhuast is needed and a little engine work. Might change the cam, but i havent really decided on that yet. I have a few more things that need to be done first. New house to be built (finally started after wait 6 months for builders) and a ss2000 class corolla that i have been playing with for years, so the zed is really a year away.

Douglas