HybridZ

Paperwork question..

Im gonna check with the my local DMV soon to find out, but what did you guys exactly have to do to get these things legal on the road? How exactly does the registration and emmissions work? Personally, I think this old truck motor gets better emmissions than the original 280z. :D Im in Utah BTW, and if anybody knows about the laws here, lemme know....

-JJ

Guest Anonymous

This is the DMV website although I was unable to find it quickly, you may have more luck. They do mention specially constructed and reworked cars (Its actually a cool DMV site, they actually have a sense of humor, the specially constructed cars they call Franken-cars.) http://www.dmv-utah.com

Anyway, they mention after 67 being emission tested but then mention something about counties that require testing. I suggest you get ahold of the local DMV and find out whats up first hand.

Typically, it'll require the smog equip the car came with minimally (and this varies widely from state to state), but then again some states are the year of the motor or body whichever is newer. It really also depends on how thorough they are checking things out. If it has to meet a visual inspection, then its going to need emission equip or it'll fail, if it has to just meet a sniffer then all bets are off, tune it well and it may just pass (78 had cats though didn't it?). Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

In Oklahoma they actually discontinued safety and emissions inspections last year. I'm having my 83ZX converted in Phoenix at this time but it will be tagged in Oklahoma where it won't be subject to inspections. Oklahoma has some strange ways but this one really favors the HybridZ guys :D .

Dan H