HybridZ

280 struts in a 240

I have recently started swapping a 280 rear end into a 240. Since the entire rear end suspension came along with the parts, I thought why not swap the whole thing, since it would raise the rear a bit as discussed in another thread, and so perhaps alleviate the rear squatting problem I was experiencing with a SBC installed.

Some questions occur to my neophyte brain:

(1) Am I correct in thinking this would be a good way to keep my fender off my expensive (to me) Dunlops without increasing ride harshness?

(2) Since I will now have a rake to the car, it seems to me this will negatively affect the already problematic weight distribution; therefore, I need to know if installing the front 280 struts will raise the front end.

(3) Everyone seems to be lowering their cars for performance. In light of the fact that I am putting together a cruiser/daily driver, will this be a factor in handling if I raise the car a bit?

(4) How much of a job is it to install the body-mounted brackets for the 280 sway bar onto the 240?

(5) How difficult will it be to align the wheels with the 280 struts?

Thanks, Forrest F.

Gurus, I realize this seems to ask for an essay, but reply to any part of my query will be greatly appreciated, as I am stuck at a crossroads until I can dtermine if this swap is desirable/feasible.

Thanks, Forrest F/

I had the same problem, clearance issues out back. I used the rear 280 strut bushing/upper mounts and it raised my rear end approx. 1 inch.

Mike

Sorry, I can't help you with most of your questions.

(3) Everyone seems to be lowering their cars for performance. In light of the fact that I am putting together a cruiser/daily driver, will this be a factor in handling if I raise the car a bit?

It will be a factor, of course. You are raising the center of gravity, as well as the aerodynamic drag. (larger frontal area with more of the tires profile showing) The questions is, how often do you drive at 10/10ths?

There seems to be a happy medium for street cars, as long as you can get over large speedbumps without any issues, I'd say you are high enough. Any higher than that seems unnecessarily high to me.