HybridZ

V-8 swap in a Fairlady 280Z

Before I get too far into this project I'm going to ask a question,

(there is a first time for everything). :oops:

Has any one ever done a small block Chevy swap into a right hand drive Z car ?

My car is a 1979 Fairlady 280Z (2+2). Has stock 2.8L with 5 speed.

Do any of you know if there any abnormal problems that the right hand drive configuration presents to the V-8 installation ?

I've been deciding between building a turbo L28 or installing a sbc and am leaning toward the Chevy swap.

No, there sould not be any abnormal things in general, BUT you might want to swap spacers side to side if you go JTR. Remember: JTR kit has different thicknesses of spacers for each side. AFAIK, that's about it...

Davy

Guest billy383Z

I can't see where the SBC swap into the RH drive S30 chassis should present that much of a problem. The JTR manual (worth it's weight in gold even if you don't swap in a Chevy motor!) has the motor offset about 2" towards the passenger (right) side of the engine compartment in LH drive cars so that the exhaust manifolds or headers will clear the steering shaft. This is accomplished by using two different thicknesses of spacers between the motor adapter plates and the engine block. Seems to me that if you swap the spacers around from left to right, it would offset the motor 2" towards the left side of your engine bay, thus creating the necessary clearance for your steering shaft.

You could use the scarab kit... but whats the fun in that? 8)

I bought a scarab about 1.5 years ago and the steering shaft went through the pipes in the left header. Now, I'm sure that there are other headers that may work, but these could not been switched side to side.

I like the joke though.

Davy

Guest billy383Z

The headers I used (JTR conversion, btw) were ordinary street rod "block hugger style" headers that I ordered from Jeg's. FlowTech brand, ceramic caoted, $200 for the set. Could have got painted ones for just under a $100, but I don't like replacing rusty old headers every 3 or 4 years. Steering shaft runs right past them, no interference at all. In fact when I dropped my motor in, I don't remember having to remove the steering shaft from the car. I can email you a digital picture of my header/steering shaft tomorrow if you like, Buster. It's really, really dark outside right now.

Guest billy383Z

I got thinking about the SBC swap into the RH drive chassis again this morning as I woke up, and it seems that it may even be a little bit easier than in the LH drive chassis, depending on the tranny you decide to go with. I used a TH700-R4 automatic and had to create a little bit of clearance in the passenger side of the trans tunnel/floorboard area with a 3 pound hammer so that the governor housing would clear and also to get my trans cooler lines hooked up. If you go with a manual trans, I can't see any problems there either, except maybe if the transmission has external shift linkages.

Thanks so far guys, I probably wouldn't have thought of the different size spacers, not atleast until I would have had to pull the motor again. (things usually seem more fun the second time) - but I'm running the S130 chassis. I should have been more clear (seems in '79 the Japanese didn't use the ZX designation like here in the states). The Failrlady had a 2.0L motor and the 280Z Fairlady had the 2.8L (like our ZX). Too late and my brain had shut down at 9:30.

Transmission wise, I wanna 6 speed. Cant help but row them gears, even if it is with my left hand. Atleast the clutch is on the same side.

Guest billy383Z

I didn't read your first post close enough, didn't notice that you mentioned it was a '79 model. The JTR book will still be of some assistance, even though it is specifically written for the S30. It contains valuable info on engine swapping in general. The front suspension in the S130 is basically turned around backwards from the S30 (the TC rods run to the front of the car instead of to the rear like in the S30, and the steering rack is behind the crossmember), and the location of the front crossmember is slightly different. There was a guy in our local z club who has a ZX with a SBC400/T400 combo in it, but I haven't seen him in over a year and don't know the details of what it took to put the Chevy motor into the car. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

This is a ZX??? Oh, just forget nearly everything I told you. The JTR manual is great for any swap (S130 included) but it is specific to the S30. You can fab your own parts for a V8 swap or buy them from MSA.

Davy