HybridZ

Began my Z32-->LS1 conversion yesterday...

Yesterday, I test fit the LS1 and some interesting notes on the project. I am using my 1pc Powertrain Ind aluminum driveshaft from my Z32 in the conversion. I fabed it so that i could just use the yoke from an LS1 driveshaft. It works very well! As far as engine placement in the engine bay, With the stock driveshaft lenth, you still have to cut the tranny tunnel in order to widen it for the 4L60E tranny to fit. But, you also have interference with the LS1 oil pan and the crossmember/steering rack. SO the easy route would be to pick up a Holden oil pan. (Which is what i'm doing). I will also be using the stock LS1 motor mounts and will fab up a mounting plate that will bolt up to the stock Z32 crossmember. So far, so good! I will start wiring everything up while I am waiting for the new oil pan. Wish me luck!

Definitely keep everone posted. The LS1 block is going to become more plentiful and not so cost prohibitive as time goes on which will result in a lot more people wanting to do the conversion.

I'd suggest you very, very carefully and completely document the exact dimensions and materials of your motor & tranny mounts plus the driveshaft modifications/dimensions.