HybridZ

3.8 supercharged

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, Today after looking around I found a 1993 ford thunderbird SC at a price I dont think I can pass. Low miles 5 speed with the 3.8 supercharged V-6. Has anyone here used this powerplant before?

I understand that this is not a V-8 ford but felt I would get better answers from this board being its ford. :rockon:

Guest MarksM

That engine in full dress, including factory Intercooler, weighs almost the same as a 302. So there's no real weight savings. In the overall scheme of things, you have greater potential with the V8.

On the other hand, you would have a unique Z.

since i am a ford dealer tech i have worked on them.i wont tell anybody on this site not to try a something-creativity is what hybrid z is about.engine has weak head gaskits-change them.engine was made by ford and is still in use in windstar,mustang,4.2 liter truck.engine makes lots of torque but doesnt wind up smoothly.trans was built by mazda and has wierd gear spacing to run 2.80 rear gears.but you can use a t5 from mustang.a buddy tried to run a tbird sc at sears point but it overheated -radiator was down sized to put intercooler next to it.smaller pulleys are made to drive the blower faster.if you do the swap get a book called evtm from the dealer-its the wire harness book and is very good.

Guest Anonymous

I understand about in full dress but..... With the Motor going into my Z I can drop a few things like the AC and power steering pump. I think that will free up a few lbs.

The way I understand things with the headgasket deal. The headgaskets would blow out on the 3.8 SC because there was far to much back pressure from the stock exhaust. It just couldnt get out fast enough stock. Then drop a underdrive on the blower :shock: NO MORE HEADGASKET.

I was told the cure was new headgaskets and running a free flow exhaust. Starting with headers for a early 90s mustang v-6.

Thank You for the info on the book. I will look into getting it (well order it) today.

PLEASE if I am wrong about anything PLEASE SAY SO

Thank You

OH YAH, :?: Is there anyone out there that makes a set of motor mounts for the Ford V-6 swap?