HybridZ

Starter help please

Guest jeepxr400

Guest jeepxr400

I've got a 71 240Z and when the key is put to the START possition A relay above the passengers "foot" clicks. No starter action. I thought it might be the solinoid so i put in a new starter. Same condition. I took a screw driver and bridged the "positive" and the "blade" on the starter, it works. I dont know anything about electricicty but is it the clicking relay at fault? I got good conections all around.

Thanks, Forrest.

Guest cbrunberg

I have the same problem. I've been trying to get around a remote starter switch. I put in a remote solenoid new battery all new wiring. It's a pain. Did your starter work before or did you change something before it quit?

Carl

Sounds like the soleniod or ignition switch to me. Did you replace the solenoid when you replaced the starter?

The solenoid is the small tube mounted above the starter that the battery cable hooks to. There is another wire that comes from the ignition switch to energize the solenoid. When energized the solenoid pushes the starter gear into the flywheel and at the same time pushes a copper disk across the battery connection and the blade on the starter (exactly what you did with the screwdriver) powering up the starter motor.

The screwdriver trick also powers up the connection that is suppose to come from the ignition switch. So what I would do first is connect a test light at the starter solenoid to the small connection that comes from the ignition. Turn the key to start and see if you get voltage there. If you don't, then break out a wiring diagram and figure out when the open circuit is. You could try running a wire straight from the battery to this post to see if the starter cranks.

If the test light shows you have voltage, then listen to hear if the solenoid is clicking (a loud click) when the key is turned. If it doesn't make noise your solenoid is bad. If it does make noise, but doesn't crank, than that copper disk inside the solenoid is corroded and needs to be clean up. The solenoid comes apart pretty easily for this.