HybridZ

pull the oil pan to replace timing chain cover?

Guest racingfanscjww

Guest racingfanscjww

OK guys this is only my second post and my first time working on an L6, I'm replacing a timing chain on a 260Z in exchange for a 79 280ZX (which I plan on dropping in a V8), will I have to drop the pan some to replace the timing chain cover? Of course I had two bolts break trying to get the cover off, one on the cover and one of the oil pump bolts, the bolt that broke in the cover must be corroded into the cover because I can get the cover loose everywhere except where that broken bolt is. One of the timing chain guides on the right side is loose, either the bolts broke or came out, can these bolts make it all the way into the oil pan? If so I will have to take the pan off regardless, if I raise the motor up some can I pull the pan off from the bottom? Thanks, Chris............

No you don't have to remove the pan, but you have to remove the pan bolts in the front, I think there are 4 or 5 that bolt thru the pan to the cover.

You should also loosen the head, there are 2 10mm bolts in front that have to come out, and there are 2 10 mm bolts at the very base of the cover that have to come out, one is hidden behind the oil pump.

No matter what, you are going to have fun with the front pulley.

Hope you enjoy it, should be fun.

I would remove the head, and radiator so you have rooom to work.

Guest racingfanscjww

yea I pulled the radiator and got the pulley off relatively easy, also got the bolts out of the front of the pan and behind the oil pump, got the cover to turn loose everywhere except around the one bolt that broke off, the bolt broke about 1/4" below the head leaving maybe an inch or so sticking out like a stud, thats where the cover must be corroded around the bolt and won't turn loose. Until I get the cover off I can't tell what happened to the bolts that hold the timing chain guide (its loose just floppin around behind the cover) in place.