HybridZ

LS1 T56 behind any Chevy smallblock

Mike kZ

I just talked to the guy selling those T-56 kits.... He was a little shocked more people here were not aware of his kit... apparently it has been available for 4 years :shock: The LT1 version is $580, and the LS1 is $620. For the guys that had to do field engineering to get their trannies working.... Do you think this cost payes for itself? Or having done the fabbing to get your T-56 running, would you recommend DIY for someone considering the T-56?

tannji

I just talked to the guy selling those T-56 kits.... He was a little shocked more people here were not aware of his kit... apparently it has been available for 4 years :shock: The LT1 version is $580' date=' and the LS1 is $620. For the guys that had to do field engineering to get their trannies working.... Do you think this cost payes for itself? Or having done the fabbing to get your T-56 running, would you recommend DIY for someone considering the T-56?

tannji[/quote']

The cost may pay for itself with the LS1 T56, since most people out there "know" that these trannys do not work behind the early Chevy, so they tend to sell them for less. Now we know we can use them, so buy cheap, then use this kit.

For the LT1 version, it might be close, because you can use any chevy flywheel and clutch, you don't have to buy the special flywheel, and clutch form say Centerforce.

Well, I hadda pay around $80 for the stock slave and then plenty of time spent scratching my head and modding it. I suppose the brunt of that $600 is for the bell. If they could sell the hydraulics separately for less than $120, I would've bought.

Guys,

This kit is the way I'm going to go with my conversion. I bought a 98 LS1 (31,000 miles) for $600 with all the accessories. With this kit, I'm still looking pretty good. What I would like to know is what is the best fabrication method to hook the factory clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder.

James...

A recent hotrod type magazine (Chevy High Performance?) showed how McLeod now has a blowproof universal bellhousing to mount just about any manual trans (except a ZF or Vette transaxle) behind a Chevy V8.

http://www.mcleodind.com/catalog_htm/PAGE6.HTM

They also are selling bolt-in Tremec 5spds for GM

http://www.mcleodind.com/catalog_htm/PAGE4.HTM

and T-56s.

http://www.mcleodind.com/catalog_htm/PAGE5.HTM

BTW, here's an article in CHP on the Weir bellhousing:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48446/

The bearing assembly that comes with it is the hydraulic throw-out style with the hydraulic tubes already assembled and ready to install. It still requires a 3/4 clutch master cylinder and the fabrication to install it to the pedal. Weirs kit seems to simplify the fabrication of the lines and the majority of the pneudraulic issues to an acceptable level for installation and hookup. It appears to be well made and rather simple to assemble. I just bought the LS1 T56 for $600 and with this kit I am still at the $1200 mark. Granted, I still have to get it drilled out for a speedometer cable, but all in all I think I'll come in under $1800 to get it in. Mike KZ was a big help and when I found out about the Weir product, I shot him an email about it. The guy I bought it from did not research the product well enough. He could have used it on his other car but he didn't know about the conversion package and I surely wasn't going to enlighten him. Thanks for all of the tips; I do appreciate them

James....

Pete,

Do you have any idea how much Mcleod is asking for that setup? I'm unable to call (I'm deployed in Iraq) but it "might" be a more cost effective solution. I have the factory hydraulics with the tranny. I believe that I could use them in conjunction with a centerforce dual friction clutch, right? Please advise.

James..