HybridZ

www.enginefactory.com

Hello all, I am a newbie to the Z scene and am currently

planning my z project. I have little auto knowledge, I have done brake jobs, little body work, a head gasket on my jeep nothing really big but I am handy, know how to read and have some VERY knowledgable friends and family so I have always completed any auto related task I have started. Rebuilding an engine is pretty scary for me tho so I think I will buy a crate motor for my first REAL project. I am still looking for a Z in good enough shape for the JTR conversion but I have been seriously looking for a motor so I could begin to tackle that big learning curve.

I came across http://www.enginefactory.com and was wondering if anyone has ever purchased something from them before or if anyone thinks its a bad idea to buy a motor from them. Being that I am about to sink a large amount of money into a project that right now I don't have the skills to complete the idea of a broken in, tuned engine is quite attractive, it would take a lot of stress and research away from the project. I am having a hard time finding another place to find a COMPLETE engine. Anyways, opinions anyone?

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jonzer; Good to see more new guys from Canada! I looked at the engine site you mentioned, looks nice, BUT, pricey like #@*^%.

I just had a SB Chevy built that will give me 375HP and 410ft/lbs for $2800 Cdn!!!!!! Were those prices on that site US$ Look around buddy!!

Guest Datsun 240Z GTO

I too have been looking around for some powerful crate engines and found this one: 550HP SBC

I am still searching around but if anyone has any helpful suggestions, they will be much appreciated

Paul

I would suggest to anyone-anytime they see a nicely build muscele car on the street or in a parking lot to flag the driver/owner down & ask them questions. I have done this on many occasions & have yet to come across anyone who doesnt care to brag about their ride.

Ask them if they have any pointers on shops that specialize on performance engine building. You could also ask any owner/operator shop or dealership where they out source their performance repairs as dealerships cant perform performance upgrades that are not factory otherwise it voids the warranty-as a result they will out source this to a shop they trust.

Just start asking questions: once you find a shop ask them if they stand behind their product...reminding them that you plan on putting your foot in to it & dont want a powder puff engine instead you want something you can get ruff with: if they hem-haw & get stand offish w/their answer then move on to the next shop.

Also-hang out at your local dirt track or 1/4 mile track for a weekend or two; ask them who builds their engines. Not all auto enthusiast will build their own engines. Ask the obvious questions: how many times have you used that shop, have you had any problems w/your engine, how many runs have you made on your engine, do you know of anyone else that has used your engine builder...ect, ect.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Great tips, thanks for the advice, unfortunately I live in a town of 80,000 which is 8 hours away from the nearest big metropolitan center. We have one performace shop, "eagle engines", and a small 1/4 mile oval track, the nearest strip is an 1/8th mile about 2 hours away in a place called Elliot Lake. Car enthusiasts are few and far between up here, and we only only have 5 months of snow/salt free weather. I feel lonely....

Where did you get your engine for 2800? Was it complete or just a longblock assembly, did it include the belt system + accessories, intake and carb? Lately when I talk to people about prices they laugh at me but they already own v8 cars and keep their alternator, starter etc. I need to buy everything new so I think it might be the way to go.

Well I am gonig to check out a black 76 280z in town tommorow, so wish me luck, although I am willing to bet that its going to be rusted all to @#*@.

WHY DO PEOPLE STORE CARS FOR YEARS ON GRASS?????????

Am I the only one that has noticed this terrible phenomenon?